Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mailing in Form 8453 for iShares Gold Trust (IAU) Sales to Cover Expenses

Hi,

I own iShares Gold Trust (IAU) shares as part of my Schwab robo investing account. The trust automatically sells some of those shares at the end of every month to cover the trust's expenses. As detailed in another thread (see here), I entered this information into TT as summarized capital gains transactions. This seems to trigger TT to want me to mail in form 8453 (as a cover page) along with form 8949 ("or a statement with the same information," as per form 8453). My questions are:

1. Given that my short and long term capital gains related to these sales are ~$2, is mailing these forms truly required?
  2. If mailing the forms is required, what do I mail in, other than form 8453? The only things I have are: i) Schwab's trade confirmations for the IAU purchases and ii) the iShares Gold Trust Grantor Trust Tax Reporting Statement for each year in which I bought IAU (e.g., for 2023: https://costbasistools.com/gold/taxinfo/IAU2023.pdf).

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should mail Form 8453 and simply include Form 8949, and Form 1099-B if you have one. If the IRS wants the statements you can mail them at a later date.

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your Form 8949, along with Form 8453 to the following address within three days after the IRS accepts your tax return: 

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 

Receipt and Control Branch 

Austin, TX 73344-0254

You can add additional notes to eliminate sending several pages of statements. The key will be purchase date of the of the IAU(s). 

If you need a blank Form 8453, you can download this pdf, enter your address information and check the box for Form 8949 (this form is really just a cover sheet).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No 1099-B was provided. Only the iShares Gold Trust Grantor Trust Tax Reporting Statement (e.g., for 2023: https://costbasistools.com/gold/taxinfo/IAU2023.pdf).

So the IRS would be okay with me just printing a page which lists all of dates on which Schwab purchased IAU on my behalf (i.e., I don't need to print the formal trade confirmations from Schwab)?

Note: three days have already passed since the IRS electronically accepted my return. Should I still mail it?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, follow the directions of @DianeW777 and mail the information with the IRS form 8453 cover page.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies