Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Part Year Resident - Previous State portion of interest and dividend income

Lived in CO from 01/01/2023 to 01/31/2023 before moving out of state, therefore I'm filing a part-year return for CO.

TurboTax is asking me for the Colorado Portion of Interest and Dividend Income. Say I had $10,000 in interest and dividends. I lived in CO for 31 out of 365 days, so 8.5% of the year. Would that mean I should report $850 (0.085 * $10000) as my Colorado Portion of Interest and Dividend Income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Not exactly.  Your dividends and interest is taxable by the state that you are a resident of at the time your dividend and interest is paid.  The dividends and interest received while you lived in Colorado should be included in your Colorado income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. So for examples sake...let's say I had a savings account that earned interest daily, but only paid the interest once a month (in my case, say on February 1st). Even though I was technically earning interest while living in CO, since the interest was only paid to me on February 1st, then that interest would not be taxable in Colorado, but instead taxable in my new state (assuming the new state taxes interest income)?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Your example is correct.  If you were not paid interest while you were a resident of Colorado, then you would not report any interest on the Colorado return.

@bou10404 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies