Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adding Schedule 1 to my Form 1040

I have a suggestion for future versions of TurboTax.

You need to allow users to access and input data into Schedule 1 - Additional Income and Adjustments to Income WITHOUT necessarily going through the "interview" (Q&A) process.

I have a need to enter an amount into Item "z", Line 24 of Schedule 1, but I can't.

I spoke to a TurboTax Rep about this problem several weeks ago, and was told there is no way to complete Item "z", Line 24 through the interview process, and the software prohibits entering information directly into Schedule 1.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

First what you want is in the DOWNLOADED program by doing overrides in the FORMS mode which MAY keep you from efiling and WILL void the accuracy guarantee. 

And there has always been a way to enter the Sch 1 line z (same thing on the old form 1040 line 21) thru the interview mode ...

1. Click on the Federal tab.
  2. Click on Income & expenses.
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income.
  4. Click on Start or Update button Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  5. On the next screen (Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income), click the Start or Update button for Other reportable income.
  6. Did you receive any other taxable income.  Click Yes.
  7. Other Taxable Income, enter a description and the amount.  Click Continue.
  8. Click Done.

The income will be reported on Schedule 1 line 8 (z) with the description that you entered.

Thanks, but I’m trying to add a deduction - not income.  How do I add a random deduction?

Sorry ... that is so unusual you cannot do this in the interview mode ... it is one of those things that must be an override in the FORMS mode if you cannot find what you need in the deductions section ...

1aa.jpg

Yea.....

Without getting into all of the gory details as to WHY I need to add a miscellaneous deduction (reduction of income), suffice it to say I need to do it.

The "interview" process (specifically, the "Other Deductions and Credits" section) does not address all of the categories of "other deductions" listed in the actual federal Schedule 1; so it's not surprising I can't get to Line 24z of Part II of Schedule 1 thru the interview process.

I tried using some of the expense types provided by the software (e.g., "Claim of right repayment" in order to force a deduction amount that might "do the trick", but the result is clumsy and screws-up my California Return.

And although I can manually generate a schedule 1 through the "View Forms" button at the top of the screen, I cannot input amounts into Line 24z of Part II.

I don't fully understand how this TurboTax Community works, so forgive me for asking if there is any way to put my issue in front of a TurboTax Developer / Troubleshooter who might be able to unlock Schedule 1 for me?

Sorry but there are some things on a tax return are used so rarely that they will probably never be addressed.  Your only options are  to use the Downloaded program and make an override in the FORMS mode   OR  use a paid tax professional. 

Well….thanks for looking into this.

But I am using the “download” version.

The “override” feature doesn’t work.

And when I click on “about this form”, the pop-up box tells me that this form is self-calculating, and no input is required.

Again, I’m hoping this thread gets the attention of someone on the inside of TT.

If you cannot make a direct line entry in the FORMS mode that means the amount comes from a worksheet ... that is where the change needs to be made if one is possible.   Click on the box in the form to data search from where is arrives from.  

I think we have a solution!!!

I called the "Help Line" again and was put-through to a representative named "Dave" , from Myrtle Beach, SC.

Dave understood my problem, and emailed a solution to me in about 4 minutes.

The solution:

Rather than creating a Schedule 1 and trying to force a deduction into Line 24z of Part II of Schedule 1, Dave suggested that I go to "View Forms" and navigate to "1040 / 1040SR Wks".

From there, I scroll down to "Part II - Adjustments to Income", and look for the outlined box that appears just below Row 23.  Dave suggested I use Line "G" in that box to insert my deduction.  This action will create a properly-completed Schedule 1.

And....it worked !!!!

(At least I think it did.)     :-;

So my answer telling you to find the feeder worksheet was correct ... nice to know.

Thank you for sharing, this worked for me too! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies