Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can a form 8283, which needs external signatures, be filed by mail separately from the TurboTax return being filed electronically?

Send 8283 separately by mail
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Can a form 8283, which needs external signatures, be filed by mail separately from the TurboTax return being filed electronically?

Yes, Form 8283 can be mailed attached to Form 8453. One of the checkboxes on Form 8453 is for "Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions, Section A (if any statement or qualified appraisal is required), or Section B, Donated Property, and any related attachments (including any qualified appraisal or partnership Form 8283)."

View solution in original post

8 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, Form 8283 can be mailed attached to Form 8453. One of the checkboxes on Form 8453 is for "Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions, Section A (if any statement or qualified appraisal is required), or Section B, Donated Property, and any related attachments (including any qualified appraisal or partnership Form 8283)."

Form 8453 is in TurboTax. However, the form is not fillable. Am I missing something? Doesn't make sense to have to print the form and fill out all my info by hand. I understand the 8453 must be printed and mailed along with. my 8283 and crypto appraisal, but seems TurboTax should allow for filling out taxpayer info and select applicable checkboxes, and THEN print.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Form 8453 should print filled out AFTER you finalize your return.  When you go to print your tax return the 8453 and the 8283 should both print filled out and ready along with mailing instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for responding to my question. I am still a bit confused. The 8283 is not in TT. It is a pdf which had to be signed by the appraiser and by Schwab Charitable since it is a donation to charity. I assume there is no way I can import the 8283 pdf into TT. For the 8453, I do not see why the form is not live. It has none of my taxpayer info in it and I need to check the 8283 box on the 8453 form. 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

In order to get your Form 8382 information into TurboTax, you need to fill in information from the paper 8382 that you have.

Once you do that, Form  8453 will be triggered in the return and you will be instructed to mail your signed copy of Form 8382 with Form 8453 after the e-file is accepted.

1. Select Federal from the left side menu.
  2. Select Deductions and Credits toward the upper left.
  3. Expand the list and scroll down to Charitable Donations.
  4. Expand the section and click Start to the right of Donations to Charity in 2021.
  5. Answer the next question Yes.
  6. Start by entering information about the charity.
  7. Next enter, "Items" as the type of donation.
  8. Select "I'll value them myself".
  9. For Method used to determine value select Appraisal.
  10. Finish the section based on your donation information. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry, but this does not answer my question. There are three forms involved (I believe you have two of them incorrectly named). The forms are:

8282 This confirms the donation was received

8283 This includes an appraisal by an independent appraiser

8453 This form is used to send the 8283 plus appraisal documents via USPS mail. 

I cannot fill out an 8283 because it has two external signatures.

My question was about the 8453. I can open an 8453 in Turbotax but I cannot fill it out. It is locked. It needs my taxpayer info plus a checkbox indicating that an 8283 will be attached.

Sorry, but this does not answer my question. There are three forms involved (I believe you have two of them incorrectly named). The forms are:

8282 This confirms the donation was received

8283 This includes an appraisal by an independent appraiser

8453 This form is used to send the 8283 plus appraisal documents via USPS mail. 

I cannot fill out an 8283 because it has two external signatures.

My question was about the 8453. I can open an 8453 in Turbotax but I cannot fill it out. It is locked. It needs my taxpayer info plus a checkbox indicating that an 8283 will be attached.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@wideglidejrp  TurboTax doesn't fill out Form 8453 until you are in the filing process. Until then, it doesn't know if you are going to file electronically or by mail. Form 8483 is only used if you e-file, not if you file by mail. When you start to file, and you select e-file, TurboTax will fill out the form and allow you to print it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies