Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I file two years of tax returns at the same time?

@Josegon11 TurboTax cannot help you.   You have to wait patiently for the backlogged IRS to process your return.   If you want to call the IRS you can do that but do not get your hopes up that they will be able to tell you anything.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Can I file two years of tax return

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. You can file two years of tax returns, however, they must be completed separately. For example, you would have to input your 2020 tax forms in your 2020 tax return and your 2021 tax forms in your 2021 tax return. 

In addition, to prepare a new prior-year return, you'll need to purchase and download that year's TurboTax software for PC or Mac, as TurboTax Online and the mobile app are only available for the current tax year.

@MsnDld2038

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

did you file them together or separate ?

@deiveyon15 wrote:

did you file them together or separate ?

Each year's tax return must be on the set of forms for that year (2021, 2020, 2019, etc.). You should mail them in separate envelopes, and it would be a good idea to use some type of mailing service that has tracking and proof of delivery, since the IRS is backlogged these days.

You have to do each year separately and mail them in separate envelopes.   You can only efile the current year 2021.

You can buy the last 3 years of Turbo Tax here,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You will need a full Windows or Mac to install it on.

You will have to print and mail in prior year returns.  And if you are doing more than 1 year, send each year in a separate envelope. Sometimes the IRS will just staple all the sheets together and miss a second return.  Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  Don't forget state.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

Or if you have a simple return you can get the blank forms from the IRS and fill them in by hand for free.  I have a list of some of the basic ones I can post direct links to.

Tatyanaaa

Did you ever get ur refund or what did you have to do ? I just did the same thing but didn’t know beforehand 

i actually got my refund back but months later and it didn’t have anything to do with the two separate returns being filed together. i did my own and made one mistake on their 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies