Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can this be fixed? I know my Utah state TC-40W form is correct but is still failing the review to be able to efile, even when I changed the WTH to wth on my W2.

Getting this notice: "Form TC-40W (1): UT Withholding ID number must be 14 characters long without hyphens, you must go back to federal W-2 or 1099 to update the employer/payer state withholding ID."

I know the number is correct and have reviewed/updated the withholding ID number multiple times, even changing the last three letters WTH to lower-case wth. This is a system error that doesn't allow me to e-file.  What can be done to fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

Can this be fixed? I know my Utah state TC-40W form is correct but is still failing the review to be able to efile, even when I changed the WTH to wth on my W2.

@sibersard90 wrote:
Getting this notice: "Form TC-40W (1): UT Withholding ID number must be 14 characters long without hyphens, you must go back to federal W-2 or 1099 to update the employer/payer state withholding ID."

I know the number is correct and have reviewed/updated the withholding ID number multiple times, even changing the last three letters WTH to lower-case wth. This is a system error that doesn't allow me to e-file.  What can be done to fix this?

Be sure you use the lower case wth on all W-2's and all 1099's that have an employer withholding number.   You can also try completely deleting the W-2 and/or 1099, and entering the data from scratch, paying careful attention to use the wth and being sure you don't enter any blank space after it.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Get out of the review and edit the document in the federal section.   Go back to Federal Taxes >> Wages & Income and click on Edit next to the w-2 or 1099 or both (check each one), and change the state ID there.  The 14 digit state id number (for Utah) should be formatted as 11 digits followed by wth with no hyphens or spaces.    Example:   12345678901wth

After editing the form from the federal section, return to the FILE menu and attempt to file.   The warning message that tells you to review your state & local entries, does not prevent e-file.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Duplicate removed.  @DawnC  and I were typing at the same time.  🙂

allrekd57
Returning Member

Still doesn't work. I've tried a dozen times to no avail 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You may have a piece of data stuck. Follow these steps:

Desktop version: 

1. Delete the form
  2. Save your return while closing the program.
  3. Update the program
  4. Open
  5. Enter the information again.

Online version:

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

For stuck information follow these steps:

1. Delete the form/ worksheet- if possible, see How to Delete  
  2. Log out of your return and try one or more of the following:
    • Don't use Internet Explorer.
    • Clear cache and cookies,
    • Sign in using a different browser.
    • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return.
    • Enter the information again.

@allrekd57 

I'm having the same exact problem. I've tried lower case, deleting the whole thing and manually entering it, everything I can think of and it's still doing it

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Try the troubleshooting steps mentioned earlier in this thread:

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

For stuck information follow these steps:

1. Delete the form/ worksheet- if possible, see How to Delete  
  2. Log out of your return and try one or more of the following:
    • Don't use Internet Explorer.
    • Clear cache and cookies,
    • Sign in using a different browser.
    • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return.
    • Enter the information again.

According to the Utah tax agency's website, the State requires a very specific format for the withholding account number:

The Utah withholding account number is a 14-character number. The first eleven characters are numeric and the last three are “WTH.” Do not enter hyphens. Example: 12345678901WTH.

If form W-2 or 1099 does not include this number, contact the employer or payer to get the correct number to enter on TC-40W, Part 1. Failure to include this number on TC-40W may cause your withholding to be disallowed and delay any refund.

See here for additional information from the Utah State Tax Commission. Check with your employer to verify the number.

If you have tried troubleshooting steps and have verified the number, try ignoring the message and see if the state return can proceed to file.

I've tried all of these things but it's still doing the same thing

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Maybe you don't need it or you need to contact the issuer.  From Income Tax Withholding - Utah Income Taxes - Utah.gov:

For payer ID:  The Utah withholding account number is a 14-character number. The first eleven characters are numeric and the last three are “wth.” Do not enter hyphens. Example: 12345678901wth. The program wants lower case for wth.  Contact the employer or payer of the income to get the Utah ID number. If there is no state withholding, you can delete the entire state line.

@millers616 

It's the exact same number is been the whole time I've been in the military with no problem before and I've tried all of the suggestions. No idea what to do. I wish I could just try to do them at h&r block but it already had me pay on TurboTax

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Maybe you are editing the wrong form.   Have you attempted to file the return (ignore the review messages)?    On the review screen, scroll down, hit Continue and try to file the returns.  

And in case you missed this important step, I'd like to highlight it >>  Do not attempt to edit the state IDs on the review screen.   Get out of the review and go back to the actual form in the federal interview to edit.   So, edit any form with UT withholding (delete any state IDs that do not have withholding) in the Federal interview and then go through the e-filing steps, ignoring any review messages about the UT state ID.   @millers616 

dj112662

I am having the same problem. It is so frustrating. It is not more than 14 characters.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

As others have suggested, go back to the Wages and Income section to make any changes, rather than making them in the Review screen.

Make sure that the 14-character number is entered with no hyphens/dashes.

If you have other Utah forms besides your W-2, make sure that they are also entered with the 14-character number ending in three letters.

You might try deleting the W-2 and entering it again if this persists.

There have been some great answers that will help.  When I first posted this I received initial feedback that was correct, but I implemented it incorrectly and kept trying to complete the review and it kept failing.  After deleting the offending W2 and re-entering it again and having it still not work, I was very frustrated and read through the feedback I'd received one more time and realized that I hadn't done anything to change my wife's W2 yet.  Once I did that, again using lower-case letters for the "wth" at the end of the state ID, it sailed through the review process.  I trust you can resolve this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies