Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zap4748-

Do I need to upload a copy of my 1099-R document when filing my state return?

Just filed my PA state tax return using Turbo Tax.  I thought I saw where I would need to upload a copy of my 1099-R as part of my return.  When and where do I upload a copy of this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you are retired, then none of your income from your 1099-R should be taxable on your Pennsylvania (PA) return.  Do not send a copy of your 1099-R unless requested by the state.  Keep it with your tax file.

If you are not retirement age, or if you have more questions about this income for your state return, please add them here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gpeirce

I have the same question except I'm in Oregon.  I received an audit letter today to provide them with my 1099-R.  How would I have uploaded that when I submitted my return?

Thank you.

@gpeirce 

Sometimes a state will ask for a copy of the form later....either as a random check, or because something that you filed (when you entered the data from that form) doesn't look right to them.  Read the notice, and send them a "copy" of the 1099-R form they are asking for.

Could be other things, but especially if there was OR state withholding showing on the 1099-R, that might have been entered wrong, or perhaps they haven't received the OR withholding yet from the issuer of that 1099-R and want to make sure the OR withholding you entered is exactly what is on the form,  But, like I said, could be something else they  are just checking into.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You will be advised in the letter of how they want you to submit this. They will either require you to mail it or give you instructions on how to upload it to them.

gpeirce

Thank you.  Yes, I did receive a letter, 12 weeks after filing my return.  According to Oregon's OR-40 they require it all the time.  I was trying to be proactive as to not delay my refund.  Can a W-2 or 1099 be included with the e-file?

Payments and Refundable Credits:

32.  Oregon Tax Withheld.  Include a copy of your Forms W-2 and 1099......32.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Electronic copies are included when you e-file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies