Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Dr--Joe

Filling out 1040-SR. Schedule 8812 was generated, and I don't know why.

Thank you for your answer.  It worked, but it was unclear what line to enter the 0.  It was almost at the end of the schedule.  

Critter-3's method worked for me. Thanks.

If you have no qualifying children on the 2021 return and you did not get any advance CTC payments then all yu have to do is answer these 2 questions when asked ... if you messed up then back up and try again.  

CTC question 1.jpg

CTC question 2.jpg

Unfortunately, those two questions did not show up in the TT Deluxe CD version of the software I was using.  There is no way to stop the ridiculous error except to put a 0 in an otherwise blank inapplicable Schedule 8812.

I'm using TT deluxe CD. It worked fine for me.

Everyone has to answer whether they received advance child tax credit payments.   If you did not receive any of those payments between July and December you need to answer that you did not receive any payments.

There are so many scenarios with those payments---like divorced/never married parents who have issues over who received the payments, who claimed the children, etc. --- the software has no way of knowing if any of that involves you---so you have to answer the questions about it. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jlo41
Returning Member

Same problem with Schedule 8812...it "appeared"

Everyone has to answer whether they received advance child tax credit payments.   If you did not receive any of those payments between July and December you need to answer that you did not receive any payments.

There are so many scenarios with those payments---like divorced/never married parents who have issues over who received the payments, who claimed the children, etc. --- the software has no way of knowing if any of that involves you---so you have to answer the questions about it. 

Please follow these steps to indicate you did not receive any advanced payments:

1. Click on the "Search" on the top and type "Child tax credit"
  2. Click on “Jump to Child Tax Credit”
  3. Continue through the questions until the "Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments" screen and select "No".
  4. Continue through the questions.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kristih13

We ran into this issue. Our info was entered correctly, we had no dependents in 2020. I entered zero in the field required and the program allowed us to continue and file.

M33GUY
Returning Member

I check the NO box on the Personal Info form. but when I go back to check it, the box is empty. Bug that TTax needs to fix. 

I tried putting a Zero in 8812, and the error goes away. but I'm afraid to submit by Efile.

M33GUY
Returning Member

No, this is a bug in TTax. Clicking No on Dependent Box in Personal Infor form should fix it, but box doesn't retain X.

Enter 0 in Schedule 8812 as you have no dependents.

Then you will be able to complete the tax return.

It is a requirement for every person filing a tax return to complete Schedule 8812.

You will be able to efile the tax return without any problem.

Click here for more information

Schedule 8812

Same thing here.... I selected No dependents and still get the error in form 8812 unless I put in a zero.  Go back, delete 8812..... run error check, rinse and repeat.... it won't go away.  I'm retired... I haven't had a dependent in decades.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

As @RaifH states elsewhere: In 2021, everyone is being asked to confirm that they did not receive any Advanced Child Tax Credit payments even if they are not claiming any children on their return. To confirm you did not receive any advance payments, follow these steps:

1. In the Personal section of your return,
  2. go to Deductions & Credits
  3. Scroll down to You and Your Family 
  4. click Revisit/Start next to Child and Other Dependent Tax Credit
  5. Click Continue
  6. Answer Let's start with where you spent the most time in 2021.
  7. Answer No to Did you receive any advance Child Tax Credit payments in 2021?"

See Example here from @Critter-3

@Gunslinger4u

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As was pointed out by someone else, this needs to be made so it can't be bypassed when not using the guided interview option; especially since it requires a specific response, in a specific location.  Many (most) of us who are long time users of the software, use the "explore on my own" option to go right where we know we need to go, and skip all of the things that don't apply, or are already filled in from a prior use of the software.

So while it may not be a "bug" in the truest sense, it is definitely an oversight by Intuit!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies