Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1041 : Fiduciary Information Worksheet : Special Name control

Help I am filing :

Form 1041 : Fiduciary Information Worksheet : Special Name control:

I cannot file due to this one part for Special Name control which Turbo has put in ESTA but it stops it from filling electronically.  For help it says to call the Turbo Tax special business specialty number of [phone number removed] listed but it is for  the Cleveland County Health department. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Thank You the last name was initially accept by Turbo but rejected by IRS also it is indicating that I also filed too early for the fiscal end . So I believe I will need to file toward the end of the year(file) will it work with the Turbo Business I just brought to file several months later ?  I received the letter from the IRS the next day after I filed 1041 for the EIN so I will use the first name at that time. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

Normally the name control for a trust or estate are the first 4 letters of the trust/estate name.  It looks like TurboTax is picking up the 1st four letters of Estate as the name control.  If this is for an estate, try the first four letters of the deceased's first name. If that doesn't work, then try the last name.   If you have the letter from the IRS that assigned the EIN number to the estate, review for the first four letters from that form.   John Doe Estate name control would be JOHN.  

Thank You the last name was initially accept by Turbo but rejected by IRS also it is indicating that I also filed too early for the fiscal end . So I believe I will need to file toward the end of the year(file) will it work with the Turbo Business I just brought to file several months later ?  I received the letter from the IRS the next day after I filed 1041 for the EIN so I will use the first name at that time. 

Has ANYONE EVER successfully efiled a 1041 or does every 1041 in TurboTax Business fail the "Special Name Control" test? I have tried for at least 5 tax seasons, gotten told everything is fine with the returns, only to get hung up on the SNC test each year. I have checked with the SNC folks at the IRS - who tell me the two trusts' SNCs for which I prepare the returns are correct. I'm at the point of requesting an annual refund from TurboTax for the cost of mailing the paper returns Certified/Return Receipt Requested for both trusts every year, since efiling is included in the price of TurboTax. Is anyone else having my recurring problem with IRS-approved SNCs?

Thanks!

Bill

ww2DAD

I was able to finally e-file the 1041 after a third time.  When filing the first time and doing the check for errors, up came the special name control code as an error.  Highlighted was the four letter control number and it had the same explanation - it usually the first 4 letters of the estate etc. - call the IRS.  I tried putting in the first four letters of the estate and that caused the first rejection.  When I tried this the second time with my guess at what the letters should be, it caused the second rejection.  Don't believe the explanation.  I finally found the info buried in the IRS EIN tax letter that I applied for and received for my mothers estate.  It was buried in the last paragraph on the second page.  It ended up being the first four CAPITAL letters of our last name but may be different for each estate based on filing for a EIN letter.

I then went back into Turbo Tax business per the email I got from Intuit when the e-file was rejected a second time, and ended up with the same problem I had before when it came to the final check - Congratulations no errors found.  Before sending it a third time, I then went and clicked on Tools in the upper right corner of the Turbo Tax Business screen, clicked on My Tax Data, and in the list the first attachment on my data was the Fiduciary Info Worksheet.  It also showed the wrong code, so I opened the worksheet and highlighted in the upper right corner was the box that needed corrections.  After putting in the correct 4 letter code, and saving the document it then came up on the list showing my correct four letter code.  After finishing the rest of the form I submitted the e-file and 20 minutes later got an acceptance by the IRS.  My luck was that it had not been accepted yet by the IRS, and am guessing therefore did not require a mailed in amended 1041.  I hope this helps.

BillRed

SAME FRUSTRATING PROBLEM!

I spoke with someone at the IRS who handles the 1041 forms, and he said that if you're filing an estate return for a deceased person, the Special Name Control is the first four letters of their last name. If the person is still alive, it's the first four letters of their first name. The conversation was very strange because the guy kept saying "they don't like us to talk about this, but..." 

Anyway, like many people here I had to research and fix several things on the form 1041, and submit it multiple times before it finally went through. Sheesh!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies