Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 843

I worked for the same umbrella organization for 2021, but changed from one affiliate to another one mid-year.  The umbrella organization withheld social security for each affiliate and sent me a letter indicating that they would not reimburse me for the excess social security withholding and that I would need to file Form 843 with my return.  My questions are the following:

1. Can I file this form through TurboTax?

2. If not, I've found the link to this form on the IRS website along with instructions, but I don't know if I should E-E-file through TurboTax and then mail in the separate 843 form or if I should file both by mail?

Thank you for any help/recommendations!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Form 843

TurboTax does not support Form 843. Filing this form will not impact your tax return so you can e-file through TurboTax.

As you said, your social security earnings and withholding are consolidated on one W-2 so the IRS does not see this (on your Form 1040) as two jobs, which is why you cannot get a refund for excess social security on your tax return.

Form 843 and your tax return will be processed separately and any refund from the Form 843 will come as a separate check so waiting to file your personal income tax return or filing together will not make any difference in processing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 843

I have 2 employers and Turbotax has always filed the correct form to get the return of the excess Social Security tax withheld.  This year the program is advising to ask my 2nd employer for a refund of the withheld tax.  My employer does not do that.  How do I get this program to help me get back my $600?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Form 843

You may need to clarify did the second employer withhold too much (greater than 6.2% of box 5)? And/or Was the total of all W2 social security withholding (box 6) over the limit (8853)?  

If the first is true, then that is an employer mistake and they should correct the W2 and refund you.  If they do not, you must file a form 843 to claim the refund.  

If the first is not true, but the second is true, then the excess withholding is added to line 11 on schedule 3 and line 31 on your form 1040 automatically in TurboTax.  

Here is Tax Topic 608 for reference.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 843

The second was true, but this year TurboTax did not automatically complete a schedule 3.  The program told me to request a refund from my employer, which was not the correct answer, but I could not find a way to get the program to complete the correct form.  I have no choice at this point but to file a form 843.

I have used the program for about a decade and this is the first year I have had issues, but I cannot help but to be very disappointed in the TurboTax program this year.

Mquinnjr

Form 843

Hello @ErnieS0 , wanted to reach out for advice as a reply to your post. I had a single employer and changed legal entities in late 2021 and went over FICA max for about $700. Employer position was via letter to instruct a rejection of refund or W-2 correction as standard practice, and to do form 843 myself. I did with all supporting documentation, forms and calculations clearly outlined. IRS letter received this week rejecting a clear claim here, I am at a loss and frustrated. Having a hard time finding further remedy here searching myself as well. IRS suggested filing a 1040-X for what it is worth, is a good next step scheduling time at my local IRS office? Thanks for any advice, stuck here and frustrated with employer handling so I appreciate it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies