Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sutherlandws
Returning Member

Help with taxes rejected for IND-517-01

Hello.  I completed my 2022 taxes on 4/15 (with a small refund, so no money owed) and submitted using the CD version of TT. My return was rejected, with code IND-517-01.  TT helped me with the error.  My daughter filed her taxes with HR Block online before I filed mine.  She did not select the box indicating that someone else would claim her as a dependent. She made less than $4000 in 2022 and lived full time at home with full support from me and my wife, so TT indicated we could claim her as a dependent. So, with the problem understood, she went online and changed her tax filing by clicking the aforementioned box.  We know it was done correctly because her refund went down.  About 2 hours later, I re-filed my taxes.  All seemed fine, but today I received another notice of a rejected return with the same code.  How do I determine a) if the fix she made was the right (and only) one she had to make, b) how long I have to wait before resubmitting my taxes so that the conflict with her form is resolved?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

She corrected her return on line with HR Block but not with the IRS.  She will have to file an amendment and you will have to print and mail.  Her SSN is in the IRS database as having filed and there is not way to change except amendment.

sutherlandws
Returning Member

I am a bit confused here.  So even though she 'amended' her return online, that is insufficient?  She had to file an amendment a different way?  And, even if she does that, I have to mail mine in?  My challenge is that I am now on business travel and will not be at the computer where TT is loaded until the 22nd of April.  Not sure how to proceed.  If I file for an extension, will that give me time to resolve?  And will I still need to print/file and not e-file?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The question is did your daughter go in and change her answer in the program or did she file a 1040x with the IRS. Your daughter must file an amended return, Form 1040x with the IRS. It can be efiled. Once the IRS has accepted her amended return and processed it months from now, then your return can go through. 

So, your options are:

• mail your return or 
  • file an extension and if her return still has not processed by the deadline you can mail it. 

She can track her amended return at Where’s My Amended Return? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies