Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jason109

How do I enter 1095-A? Turbo tax won't accept $0 for Col B of rows 21-32 (SLCSP), but I was eligible for employer coverage so I'm not eligble for PTC.

I tried healthcare.gov/tax-tool, it said my SLCSP was 0 because I was eligible for employer coverage ("Select all months Jason was enrolled in a Marketplace plan and paid the premium. Note: Don't select months Jason was eligible for other health coverage outside the Marketplace)."   I don't expect the PTC, but I know that IRS will reject my return without 1095-A, AND I want to deduct all of the premiums, which I paid with after-tax dollars.  But Turbo Tax won't take my form, it say "Must be greater than $0" for each column B field.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

How do I enter 1095-A? Turbo tax won't accept $0 for Col B of rows 21-32 (SLCSP), but I was eligible for employer coverage so I'm not eligble for PTC.

On the 1095-A, column B is the Monthly Premium Amount of Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan (SLCSP), which is never $0 as it represents a premium amount that would have been charged.  Column C reflects the Premium Tax Credit you received throughout the year.

You need to enter your 1095-A exactly as the form you received shows.  You can get a copy of your form from your Marketplace account if you did not receive it in the mail.   If you did not receive a 1095-A (or you received a 1095-B or 1095-C), you should not enter anything on this screen.

Your premiums are deductible as medical expenses (unless you were self-employed) and limited to the amount that exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.  This amount also is only deductible when you itemize your deductions.  If you do not enter your 1095-A, the IRS will not reject your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jason109

Sorry for not replying sooner, I had to go out of town unexpectedly, and I'm now filing my taxes late.

You said, "On the 1095-A, column B is the Monthly Premium Amount of Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan (SLCSP), which is never $0 as it represents a premium amount that would have been charged".

On my form, it is $0 for all months.  The cover letter with the form mentions this might happen, and points to the Instructions for Form 8962.  That document, as well as the on-screen help in Turbo Tax, say that you can get these figures from HealthCare.gov/Tax-Tool/.  However, that tool tells me not to check the box for months where I was eligible for other healthcare.  If I don't check the box, that tool reports 0.  If I do check the box, I get a non-zero SLCSP amount; when I enter those values into Turbo Tax, it tells me I am eligible for the Premium Tax Credit.

BUT - I was eligible for health insurance through my employer, I just chose to use the marketplace because my employer's plans don't cover any of my doctors.  I think that means I'm NOT eligible for the PTC, correct?  If so, then I need to leave the SLCSP values as 0, which I cannot do (TurboTax reports an error).  Should I just remove the form 1095-A from TurboTax?  I can find no place in TT to tell it I was eligible for MEC through my employer.

Ok ... if you have a 1095-A with a non zero amount in column A then you MUST also have an amount in column B even if the form doesn't provide you one.  You must get the amount by using  this easy to use  tool :  

https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/#/

jason109

Thanks @Critter-3, but as I noted above, I HAVE used that tool (https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/#/), but it reports $0 for each month, UNLESS I lie and tell it I was not eligible for employer-provided coverage.  That gives me a value, but if I put it into Turbo Tax, TT tells me I am eligible for PTC, which I'm pretty sure I'm not (again, due to my eligibility for employer-provided coverage, which qualifies as MEC).

rainswill76
Returning Member

the form does not accept "0's" in any of the boxes, if the amount is 0, leave it blank. 

I have similar problem.  I was covered by my husband's employer January 2023.  My 1095-A Has amounts in column A and B for February through December.  But blanks in all three columns in January for columns ABC.  What do I do?

Thanks for any help.

Terri

@Tkaberg wrote:

I have similar problem.  I was covered by my husband's employer January 2023.  My 1095-A Has amounts in column A and B for February through December.  But blanks in all three columns in January for columns ABC.  What do I do?

Thanks for any help.

Terri

Leave all the columns blank (empty) for January.

I tried that.  First I had zeroes in there.  Then I removed all the zeroes and it said it can't be left blank. It then gave me a link to figure out the SLCSP  for column B January and said can't be blank.

@Tkaberg Delete the Form 1095-A and re-enter manually.  The Form 1095-A will accept blank rows for any month where you did not have ACA health care insurance.

To enter, edit or delete your Form 1095-A -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A), click the start or update button

I'll give that a try. Thank you!

I added .01 for all months for column B and it worked.

I am amended my 2021 NYS return and claimed the Real Property Tax Relief Credit and ran into the same problem with form-1099-A.  The original return didn't complain about column B having 0.0.
Your .01 trick worked! Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies