Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter 1099-Div box 2e and 2f info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Dividends are taxable as they are earned income from your investments. They can be entered in TurboTax by using the instructions below.

1. Sign into TurboTax and open a section of your return.
  2. Search for 1099-DIV and select the Jump to link in your search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you receive any dividend income?
  4. Choose your bank or brokerage from the list to import your 1099-DIV and select Continue. If you'd rather manually enter your 1099-DIV, select Change how I enter my form, then Type it in myself.(suggested)
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter your 1099-DIV.
  6. See the image below - check the box to show you have more info/boxes to enter

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There are no boxes 2e and 2f when I check the box for "my form has info in other boxes"

@danielslb wrote:

There are no boxes 2e and 2f when I check the box for "my form has info in other boxes"

Per the IRS 1099-DIV instructions:

Note. Only RICs and REITs should complete boxes 2e and 2f.
Boxes 2e and 2f do not need to be completed for recipients that
are U.S. individuals.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I double-checked this answer, as I had the same question. And it's true, the nonapplicability to U.S. citizens of both boxes is stated under both "section 897" and "box 2f" in the instructions. I wish TurboTax explained it in the "Other boxes are checked window, though."

I too wish Turbo Tax explained the nonapplicability to U.S. citizens of both boxes is stated under both "section 897" and "box 2f" in the instructions. Would've saved me some time and frustration.

How do I enter 1099-Div box 2f info?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You don't; leave it blank.  Boxes 2e and 2f apply only to foreign persons and entities whose income maintains its character when passed through or distributed to its direct or indirect foreign owners or beneficiaries.  It is generally treated as effectively connected to a trade or business within the United States.

From the instructions -  Box 2f. Section 897 Capital Gain

Enter any amount included in box 2a that is section 897 gain from dispositions of USRPI (United States Real Property Interest).  See Section 897 gain, earlier.   Note.  Only RICs and REITs should complete boxes 2e and 2f.   Boxes 2e and 2f do not need to be completed for recipients that are U.S. individuals.

@MacWyoming 

AK4041

How do I enter 1099-DIV Box  2e and 2f with my turbo tax deluxe. My 1099DIVhave amounts in these boxes but my Turbo Tax Deluxe does not show box 2e or  2f , even when I click the other boxes option. So how can I enter the needed box 2e and 2f dividends?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You may not need it.  The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-DIV show the following information (page 3).

'Section 897 gain. If a regulated investment company (RIC) described in section 897(h)(4) (A)(ii) or a real estate investment trust (REIT) disposes of a United States Real Property Interest (USRPI) at a gain, any distributions made to the extent attributable to such gain shall be treated as gain recognized by the recipient from the disposition of a USRPI (that is, the look-through rule).

If any part of the ordinary dividend reported in box 1a or capital gain distributions reported in box 2a is attributable to section 897 gains, report that gain in box 2e and box 2f, respectively. See section 897 for the definition of USRPI and the exceptions to the look-through rule.

Note. Only RICs and REITs should complete boxes 2e and 2f. Boxes 2e and 2f do not need to be completed for recipients that are U.S. individuals.

@AK4041 

FredW49er

anybody know the ans

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

As DianeW777 said, according to the IRS Instructions for Form 1099-DIV:  "Boxes 2e and 2f do not need to be completed for recipients that are U.S. individuals." You may therefore ignore this information.

@FredW49er 

RLB62

How do I enter 1099-DIV Box 2f in turbo tax?

@RLB62 wrote:

How do I enter 1099-DIV Box 2f in turbo tax?

As stated several times on this thread -

Boxes 2e and 2f do not need to be completed for recipients that are U.S. individuals.

lynzid

see subject line

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies