Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smarathe

How do I enter MA 1099-HC Details?

2019 Form 1099-HC
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

The 1099-HC (MA form) is an informational form like the 1099-B (Federal form) that is your proof of insurance.

However, these forms do not have to be used to file your taxes. 

If you are answering questions on the Federal, Health Insurance tab, you will answer that you have insurance and it is not through a marketplace plan.

Form 1099-HC

• The 1099-HC form is a Massachusetts document which serves as proof of health insurance coverage for MA adult residents.  Every MA resident who has insurance will receive an annual 1099-HC form which is completed and provided by your insurance carrier. 
  • You do not need to file Form 1099-HC.The form is informational and should be used to complete a new Schedule HC form with your MA residential tax form. Schedule HC is now a required tax return attachment for all MA residents.  {From:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3139450-whats-the-difference-between-1099-hc-and-1095-b]

This question was previously answered by LisaBr

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sonny1912
Returning Member

There is no provision to enter 1099-HC information for my over 18 daughter who is a student and a dependent. There only a place to enter my information and my husband's information.

Sonny1912
Returning Member

my question is not answered. I am a MA resident. On the MA tax forms questions I am asked to provide 1099-HC information for myself and my husband but not for my over 18 daughter who is a dependent and a full time student. How do I prove to the state  of MA that she has health coverage.

This is normal and correct.  For Massachusetts, you are not required to provide health insurance informaiton for a dependent child.

@Sonny1912

thebuttki

How do I enter multiple 1099-HC forms?  I changed jobs in 2021 and it's not clear how to enter.

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Within your MA state return, on the page Let's Go Over Your Health Insurance Information, follow the steps below to enter the two 1099-HC forms:

1. On the screen When did you have minimum creditable coverage (MCC)? Select My health insurance met MCC all year. 
  2. On the next screen, choose the type of insurance you have
  3. On the next screen, Tell us about your private health insurance, enter the information on one of the 1099-HC forms, check Yes to Did you have insurance with more than one company in 2021?
  4. Enter the information on the 2nd Form 1099-HC 
  5. Answer No to the question Did you have a 3rd insurance provider?

Proceed to complete the rest of your state return.

@thebuttki

jwilsonjr
Returning Member

I am a retiree on Medicare and Harvard Pilgrim Enhance.The Massachusetts tax form requires private health insurance id#, but as a retiree I do not get a 1099HC form. Turbo Tax for Massachusetts accepted my Harvard Pilgrim ID number but will not accept my wife's ID number, it insists on the insurance id# from the 1099HC form I do not get as a retiree. What do I do?

Cordially,

[PII Removed].

jwilsonjr
Returning Member

Retiree on Medicare. Massachusetts State Tax required Insurance ID# but as a retiree I do not get a 1099 HC. Turbo Tax accepts my Member ID# instead of the Insurance Company's ID#, but and private won't accept my wife's member id number

jpedulla

But the State still required the submission of the form via USMail 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If Medicare is your primary insurer, then don’t enter your Harvard Pilgrim information, which I assume is a Medicare Advantage plan.

On the screen “What type of health insurance did you have in 2022?” your choices are private insurance or something else.

Medicare is something else. If you check that box, there is an option to select Medicare, which requires no ID number.

You don’t say whether your wife is also covered under Medicare, so I don’t know whether you are trying to enter a Medicare Advantage number or something else.

@jwilsonjr 

jwilsonjr
Returning Member

I am just trying to supply a complete answer as I did for myself. We both have Medicare and Harvard Pilgrim Enhance. I entered both for myself and do not understand why I cannot enter both for my wife.

Cordially,

[PII Removed]

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

In Massachusetts, TurboTax will ask for both your health care info. After you enter one person's info, TuirboTax will ask for the second person's info.

On the screen "Health Insurance Information" select the person whose information you did not enter.

@jwilsonjr

If you have medicare then that is all you need to report on the MA return ... the secondary insurance is not needed. 

HumeV

For Massachusetts Medicare beneficiaries, check the box in line 4c of the Massachusetts Form 1099-HC worksheet. If you were enrolled for the entire year, there is no need to fill in any more information. Specifically, there is no need to refer to any Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) or Medicare Advantage plans. Thus, you can leave the Health Insurance Smart Worksheet blank.

If you enrolled in Medicare during the tax year, enter information for any insurance that was in force prior to your Medicare enrollment. That prior insurance may require a description in the Health Insurance Smart Worksheet. You will also need to check the Medicare box to account for your partial year Medicare enrollment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies