Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to answer: Turbo asked if my employer was a state or local government. I work for a hospital that is owned by a hospital district (i.e. state or local funded)

While this is not a government, ownership is by a government agency. What is an appropriate response in this case?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

How to answer: Turbo asked if my employer was a state or local government. I work for a hospital that is owned by a hospital district (i.e. state or local funded)

It depends on how your state defines local governments. In Texas, for example, it is by statute that hospital districts can be created that have taxing authority which makes them a local government.

I do not know the context of your question (and the answer may vary by state), but I am inclined to think (without any other additional information) that in Texas, at least, you would work for a local government.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The State of reference is Nebraska in this case. Follow up question, how does the government status question influence the tax form? That is, what changes does it cause marking government employee or non?

JulieC14
Expert Alumni

When you entered your W-2 from the hospital, in box 12 you must have entered a "G" which is elective deferrals to a 457(b) plan.  457(b) plans are offered by state and local governments and some nonprofits.  Since you are working for a hospital, a non-profit, you would answer "No" to the question regarding working for a state or local government.  

Saving for your retirement is a good idea with your contributions growing tax deferred.  Plus some employers match the amount you contribute and depending on your income level, you may be eligible for a Retirement Savers Credit from the IRS.

Click HERE for more information on the Retirement Savers Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies