Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to E-File as a Power of Attorney for Incapacitated Person

I would like to know how to e-file in the capacity as a power of attorney (POA) for filing a federal income tax return.  The signature line of Form 1040 only permits a signature for the taxpayer or for a paid preparer.  As a POA, I would not qualify for either and turbotax when e-filing requires various information from the actual taxpayer and not a POA who may be filing the return.  Is e-filing an option if signing in the capacity of a POA?

Please advise.  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Yes, E-filing is an option for someone filing under the authority of a Power of Attorney.

Prepare and file the return as if you were the taxpayer.

Then, complete and send Form 8453 with Form 2848* to the IRS within 3 business days after your e-file is accepted.

(*Or other POA stating you have authority to file the tax return)

Check Block 2 (Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (or POA that states the agent is granted authority to sign the return)

Mail Form 8453 to:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 Receipt and Control Branch

Austin, TX 73344-0254

Thank you.  Appreciate the timely response.  That seems to be the only way to e-file.  Regards.

cdorr
Returning Member

Thank you.  this is good information.  I had one like this the other day but did not know they had to file the form and send a copy together with copy of the POA within three days.  The person I asked for help simply told me to just continue and that there was no need to do anything else.  They may also have not been aware of it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies