Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pendar20

How to report a 1099G if locality is not included in the drop down menu ? In this case Portland, OR (and not talking about the art tax).

These 1099Gs are for Metro Supportive Housing Services (SHS) Personal Income Tax and Multnomah County Preschool for All (PFA) Personal Income Tax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

How to report a 1099G if locality is not included in the drop down menu ? In this case Portland, OR (and not talking about the art tax).

Looking at the list and the Instructions per the IRS, I suggest just entering the State but making sure all other information as to name, address, and taxpayer identification number relates to the organization that the 1099-G pertains to.  The link below shows the instructions for Form 1099-G and I call your attention to the instructions for Boxes 10a through 11 and the IRS's declaration that it is only for state and local purposes and need not be completed for IRS purposes.

1099-G Instructions

@pendar20

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pendar20

Hi,

I already have a separate entry for state of OR 1099G (I have received a separate OR specific 1099G form). Turbotax online system does not allow me to have multiple state entries.

I thought a work around could be using "Other/Multiple State or Locality" to generate the entries and then manually fix the name on schedule 1 box 1a? Two issues with that: 1- I can't enter multiple "Other/Multiple State or Locality" and I have to combine my forms into one (I have two 1099Gs from Portland Locality). 2- I don't seem to find a way to manually fix the name on schedule 1 box 1a.

- thanks 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Add your 1099-Gs from Metro Supportive Housing Services (SHS) Personal Income Tax and Multnomah County Preschool for All (PFA) Personal Income Tax as Other/Multiple State or Locality.

You can combine the amounts or make two entries.

If you included withholding from those taxes on your 2021 itemized deductions, this will allow TurboTax to correctly calculate the taxable amount of your state and local refunds. The actual name of the local does not matter for federal tax purposes.

Oregon does not allow you to deduct local, county, or other states’ tax refunds on the Oregon tax return, so TurboTax will only deduct your Oregon refund, not Other/Multiple State or Locality. This will allow TurboTax to correctly calculate your state return.

TurboTax does not support SHS or PFA personal income tax returns so amounts in Other/Multiple State or Locality will not flow to those forms. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Maybe it was included in a recent update, but I do see the SHS and PFA items in the Locality menu.

My question is about answering “What type of payment did you receive?” None of the five options seems to be correct (Taxable grant, Agricultural program payment, Market gain on CCC loans, RTAA payment, Business or farm tax refund). The City of Portland considers the amount a “Cash refund,” claiming “For information only. Shows that all or a portion of your overpayment was a cash refund or offset for an existing tax liability."

The two 1099-G forms I have cover a late fee and interest payment for each of these city taxes levied against households making over a certain amount of income from all sources. Initially I chose the “Business or farm tax refund” as the closest, but then TT starts asking me to tie the refund to my wife’s personal business, which it is not (at least not exclusively). Will this be a problem, or is there a more accurate way to deal with this?

Ah, I see now that the very first screen asking about the 1099-G has a popup menu which contains BOTH a state list and many locality taxes listed AFTER all of the states. Now that I've scrolled down far enough and chosen the SHS or PFA options, the next screen’s UI is simpler and makes sense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies