Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed one state tax and federal return together. At that time I paid for the first state tax submission. Being charged again when filing my 2nd state tax return, why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I filed one state tax and federal return together. At that time I paid for the first state tax submission. Being charged again when filing my 2nd state tax return, why?

In the Desktop program it is 24.99 to efile each state return including the first one.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

Or did you have to buy a second state download for a different state?  That is also another 44.99.

lilliemedearis7
Returning Member

It's not fair, you said the 1st State Return would be free: and, it was free last year & before that.

@lilliemedearis7 wrote:

It's not fair, you said the 1st State Return would be free: and, it was free last year & before that.

What fee are you referring to?   Are you asking about the 24.99 state efile fee?  

In the desktop editions that include a state program, it is the first state program that is free (included).   With that included state program, one can prepare as many state returns as needed for that same state.     But there is a 24.99 fee to efile each state return (except free for New York state).   There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

The Basic Edition does not come with an included state program.

As for Deluxe, it comes in 2 versions--one that is both Federal and State combo, and a version that is Federal-only.   If purchased directly from TurboTax, it is the combo Fed and State version.   If purchased elsewhere, one has to be careful as to which Deluxe one is buying.

bdm22897

In my scenario, I purchased a second state for $44, which at that price I would have assumed the efile charge would be included.  Was I shocked that I was being charged 24.99 to efile after just spending $44.  That's absolutely awful!  Can someone confirm that's the way it is or whether I shouldn't have had to pay for the efile?

@bdm22897 wrote:

In my scenario, I purchased a second state for $44, which at that price I would have assumed the efile charge would be included.  Was I shocked that I was being charged 24.99 to efile after just spending $44.  That's absolutely awful!  Can someone confirm that's the way it is or whether I shouldn't have had to pay for the efile?

Unfortunately, every state return efiled in the desktop product has a 24.99 service fee except for New York state.   There is no way to efile a state return without paying the fee (except New York).   There is no fee, however, to print and mail the state returns.   The 44.99 fee is just for the software program to prepare the state return.

There is clearly a change of policy with TurboTax.  I don't know if the change was made this year or maybe two or three years ago.   I have been using Turbotax for over 15 years.  For most years that I have used TurboTax e-filing was ALWAYS free for the federal tax return and the FIRST STATE, not just for NYS.

This is a bad change in policy.  If we're using TurboTax it's because we're trying to save money.  The more TurboTax charges, the less likely we are to use their services.

memcgee
Returning Member

The first State E-File is supposed to be free.  Why can't I file it with my Federal without paying.  The advertisement state one Free State E-File.

Mary

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax CD/Download software includes five federal e-files, and you can prepare and print unlimited state returns for one state.  However, there is an e-file fee for each state return you e-file.  

For current pricing, refer to the TurboTax CD/Download product page:  Which TurboTax CD/Download product is right for you?

@memcgee 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies