Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received interest on my 2019 refund, but I did not receive a 1099-Int from the IRS. W hat would it have shown? For example, I need an FEIN to enter the form manually.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I received interest on my 2019 refund, but I did not receive a 1099-Int from the IRS. W hat would it have shown? For example, I need an FEIN to enter the form manually.

The IRS will only send you a 2020 1099-INT if you were paid more than $10 in interest. However, you are required to report all interest received during the year. If you manually input your interest, you can just input the payer name (Internal Revenue Service) and the amount of interest they paid to you during 2020. You will not need to enter a federal identification number. 

You can follow these steps in TurboTax to enter interest received:

1. Open your tax return in TurboTax.
  2. Search for 1099-INT with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  3. Select the Jump to 1099-INT in the search results to go directly to the section to report your interest income.
  4. Click on Add a 1099-INT
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried this, but it insists that this entry needs review. Thanks.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It might be that you don't have an ID number for the form. If you are asked for that but don't complete that field, you may get an error message and will be prevented from e-filing your tax return. You may be able to look the ID number up online by doing a Google search.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info, but as I have replied before, I  tried this and got nowhere. I'm using the free version online,

and when I create a 1099-INT without an EIN, it just says I  need to revisit it, and doesn't show the amount.  Another suggestion was to enter the amount as "other reportable income". When I try this TurboTax wants to use Schedule 1, for which I would need to upgrade for $60. The amount could be entered on Line 8 of Form 1040, but I have no way to do that except Schedule 1. TurboTax used to explicitly ask for this, and I used it once a few years ago, but that was before the forms were revised. In the end, it would have made me pay an extra $2, so I just left it out. The IRS can deduct it from my refund if they notice it.

You don't need an EIN to enter interest.  Where is it saying to enter it?

Don't enter the name and don't try to import it.  It is just as fast and easy to manually enter it.  At the bottom pick Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick I'll Type it in Myself

Enter interest from the IRS like a 1099Int and put the amount in box 1.

Enter a 1099-Int  under

Federal on left

Wages & Income at top

Interest and Dividends

Interest on 1099INT - Click the Start or Revisit button

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies