Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is Form 14039 actually available? THAT is the question

Yes, it would. Step #1 and #2 first, as you state above, then wait for confirmation of receipt of the 14039 before completing Step #3. And it truly would be the safest way for you and most "mind-easing" in the short- and long run. Please, do not forget my advice on mailing it in Certified Mail / Return Receipt Requested. 

Thank you!

Also, since I'll be choosing the option:
"I don’t know if someone used my information to file taxes, but I’m a victim of identity theft"

I have an option to fax it to the IRS. That would seem to be even a better option than USPS, considering the delays and reliability issues they've been having.

Does that make sense?

So, sorry, @WendyN2, but before you answer my last question about faxing - I've also got one last question (hopefully! 🙂

Do I actually need for the IRS to confirm receipt of the 14039 before e-filing? Can't I just fax it in and then immediately e-file? (Can you tell I just want to be done with this already? 🙂

No need to apologize! And, no, you do not "have" to wait on filing, I was just suggesting that for your own peace of mind. 

Yes, faxing is quicker. However, unless you do so from a Staples or the like where you can request an immediate confirmation of receipt, then you just do not know that they've received it. Typically, many newer fax machines do not provide that paper receipt. I do hope it all works out for you! 

espejod1

It is Feb 15, 2021 and I can't file my taxes because form 14039 is not ready. However, I got an email saying all the forms are now available and that I just need to update. Which I did and I still can't file my taxes. What do I do? I can't mail it and I can't e-file.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The form is available but it is not supported for e-filing on the Forms Availability database. Please view the steps that WendyN2 has provided above for other filing options for this form. 

@espejod1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ESO, I took @WendyN2's advice:

• faxed Form 14039
  • in TurboTax, I "un-indicated" I was a victim of identity theft, so the affidavit was removed
  • e-filed through TurboTax

The e-file seemed to transmit properly as I received an email from Intuit saying the IRS had accepted my return.

Awesome! So glad it worked for you!!

Now, give it a couple of days then check on IRS.gov to verify. You just click on "my return status" on their site - very top to the left. Happy for you it worked!

sanjsrik

I just went to the IRS.gov site linked here by "wendy" the "tax expert":

There is a link to the FTC.gov website where you can file your Form 10439 electronically through the FTC.gov site:

You can even download the form once you've submitted it electronically to the IRS through the FTC.gov website.

What I don't understand is speaking to anyone at Turbotax, they have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what the issue is. They have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE as to why as a consumer of Turbotax I keep getting emails and text messages telling to "go ahead and file" when the date of Form 10439 keeps changing and why it keeps changing. 

The reality of the situation is this:

• The form IS available to file by paper or through FTC.gov (https://www.identitytheft.gov/)
  • The form is NOT available to file ELECTRONICALLY through Turbotax which is what the hold up is on Turbotax's end but they won't just simply say that. Because also, once the form IS available, YOU CAN ONLY FILE YOUR TAXES IN PAPER. 

Turbotax seems unable to actually share basic information with consumers who come asking for basic answers about forms and availability. The "experts" who call you back do NOT help in any way and simply say, "Sir, I don't work in that department, I don't know why they're sending you texts and emails." 

Filing taxes is stressful enough, having a company not share basic information correctly, send misleading and erroneous emails and texts because one side of the business cannot speak to the other side, and in general, offer bad advice is NOT something that makes filing taxes easier, it makes it harder.

At least pretend you know what you're doing at Turbotax.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

We appreciate the feedback you have provided. Part of the challenge here is that you asked about a form that is not filed with the tax return itself but separately filed. If you were successful in filing the form, we are happy about that. However, if you have additional questions or need assistance to resolve the issue, please contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at Identitytheft.gov or the FTC Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-438-4338.

@sanjsrik

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sanjsrik

This is neither a helpful nor useful response in any way. Instead of admitting that turbotax and its customer support are useless and have no clue what they're doing while charging for a service SPECIFICALLY about this exact thing, you completely deflect and say contact the FTC.

I followed the link provided by your bull**bleep** "expert" who literally did verbal somersaults to NOT provide any useful information because the entire point was to obfuscate that the only reason turbotax INSISTS for a user to wait and wait and wait for the "form to be available" when it WAS AND IS AVAILABLE SINCE DECEMBER 2020 was because you want people to file electronically through turbotax.

The fact that even after the form IS available electronically THROUGH turbotax, a user will STILL BE FORCED TO FILE BY PAPER WHEN THEY COULD HAVE FILED WEEKS BEFORE RATHER THAN LISTENING TO USELESS ADVICE THROUGH YOUR SOFTWARE.

THE FORM IS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE IRS WEBSITE. IT CAN BE FILED NOW. TURBOTAX IS LYING TO CUSTOMERS CLAIMING IT IS NOT AVAILABLE SIMPLY TO GET THEM TO CONTINUE USING THE SOFTWARE.

WHY IS THE SOFTWARE AND TURBOTAX LYING TO CUSTOMERS IS THE REAL QUESTION?
terrytreece5909
Returning Member

Just chatted with someone on the FTC Identity Theft site and the advice was that a Form 14039 was not needed unless you received a 1099-G, which would be due to tax fraud. 

TURBO-TAX IS SELF SERVE  

Phone agents can help you navigate through the software screens and tell you where the boxes are.   They cannot tell you what to put in the boxes or why.   

Agents are not "Dial-An-Accountant."  You must pay to talk to a tax professional for any and all tax questions.  These are registered CPAs with 4 year degrees in accounting.  Because you can be punished or fined for failing to follow the rules,  by LAW they are the only people authorized to answer questions about tax code, forms or policy.  

FOR YOUR SECURITY

Agents do NOT have access to any part of your tax return nor are they able to see emails sent to you securely by the system nor why they were sent.

Agents are not given any information into the design or inner workings of any Intuit Software. 

Tax Law is determined by the IRS as is form availibility for each company and efiling rules and procedures.  We have no control over wrong information provided by the IRS nor can we help when the IRS changes its mind, messes up or does not abide by a date or its own published schedule.   This happens often. 

The IRS LOVES it when you blame us instead of them as does the corporate excutive team at intuit.  It guarantees that tax law will stay complicated, companies like Turbo Tax gladly take the blame and keep making money.   Phone agents (the company's lowest level employee) take the brunt of customer anger and frustration.   

If you are unhappy with how our tax system currently operates (and many are) contact your Congressman.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies