Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to amend already filed 2022 Tax return

How do I amend my 2022 tax return to account for IRS change regarding CA Middle Class tax refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If your return has been transmitted and rejected by the IRS, you can correct your tax return and re-transmit.

If your return has been transmitted and accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your Federal 1040 tax return.  However, before amending your tax return, do not enter the return and do not enter the return and make any changes.

Amended Federal tax returns are now available.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select Amend a return that was filed and accepted.

If you used the CD/download product, sign back into your return and select Amend a filed return

In the amended tax return, you would remove the IRS form 1099-MISC that reported the California MCTR.

See also this TurboTax Help.

@23Jacq 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If your return has been transmitted and rejected by the IRS, you can correct your tax return and re-transmit.

If your return has been transmitted and accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your Federal 1040 tax return.  However, before amending your tax return, do not enter the return and do not enter the return and make any changes.

Amended Federal tax returns are now available.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select Amend a return that was filed and accepted.

If you used the CD/download product, sign back into your return and select Amend a filed return

In the amended tax return, you would remove the IRS form 1099-MISC that reported the California MCTR.

See also this TurboTax Help.

@23Jacq 

Do I need to Amend both the 2022 IRS and CA State returns?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes. CA begins with the federal AGI to calculate your income tax. See

I'm in the same boat. I've already e-filed the federal return and realized I needed to add a few more deductions along with report some crypto sales. I haven't filed the state portion yet. How do I amend the federal only and have the updated information reflect not the state portion for mailing?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Wait to amend until your state has been filed and your federal return has been fully processed.   Use the instructions in this link once your federal return has been processed.  You have 3 years to file the amendment.   @Jenita143 

I need to amend my just-submitted 2022 return.  The status is Accepted.  But on the download/desktop TurboTax version I cann't find "amend a filed return" anywhere, which is what the instructions say to do.  Where is that option in the desktop version of TurboTax 2022? 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.” Form 1040-X. Please also be sure your CD/Download program is up to date.

If the IRS accepted your tax return, then you will need to wait until you have received your refund, if applicable, and then amend that return to make changes, if needed. Amended returns have to be printed and mailed in and take up to 16 weeks to be processed.  
If accepted, wait until you have received your refund or taxes due paid, then you can follow the instructions below on how to amend your tax return. 

Please see the TurboTax FAQ links below for more information:

@davidpwu 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies