Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No U.S. Credit Card. Unable to Buy TurboTax

I am a long term resident of Japan but a U.S. citizen. This year I would like to purchase the TurboTax software. I used to just file directly with the IRS but they require a US phone number, which I do not have. I was at the checkout for the software, but the billing options is limited to US only. I do not currently posses any US credit cards but have VISA and MC linked to my Japan address. Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Why is this happening?  It is not a TurboTax limitation. U.S. banks require the card's billing address in order to validate on-line charges, and the databases they use for this purpose do not include foreign addresses (too many possible formats). Also, a great deal of on-line credit card fraud emanates from foreign countries; requiring a valid U.S. billing address reduces the chance that someone overseas is stealing your card number. 

There are a few ways around this limitation.  

If you have a refund coming, you can use it to pay your TurboTax fees - this is a rather expensive option because of the service charge.  

The only other option is to pay for your TurboTax with someone else's U.S. credit card (close relative or close friend), one with a U.S. billing address. The payment process is completely separate from the tax return preparation, so using a card with a different name & address won't be a problem 

Thanks!

If you file with a foreign address, however, then you cannot use the option to pay any TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund.   See this FAQ:

FAQ:  Why can't I deduct my TurboTax fees from my refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-can-t-i-deduct-my-turbotax-fees-from-my-...

It's not just US credit card. You can have a US bank and a US card, but if it's addressed to a foreign country TurboTax won't take it. It's bad enough expats have all sort of extra hoops to deal with while filing, and they shouldn't have to be stonewalled by this as the final step. The fact that the best option is to ask for a friend or relative's credit card number is a disgrace and could compromise folk's security. If my bank allows foreign address and it verifies on other platform's TurboTax should as well.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ's below for additional information on filing your taxes with a foreign address:

@toastal_ 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the most comprehensive explanation I have found so far for this yearly nuisance! I have not had a residence in the US for over 50 years. My only solution has been to send cash in an envelope to a friend in the US. Primitive and unsafe... Why then don't you accept an intermediary like PayPal, which would delegate the credit verification to them? There are tens of thousands of US citizens like me who would be delighted! 

dcon
Level 2

In summary, the only option is to beg a friend or relative to borrow their credit card.  

- TurboTax does not accept a credit card from a US bank like the State Department Federal Credit Union if the owner's address is overseas.   Other online businesses do accept the SDFCU credit card.

- TurboTax does not allow a user with an overseas address to use their refund to pay.

dcon
Level 2

By the way, I would be happy to pay via wire transfer or direct debit.   All for now....time to beg my sister for her credit card again.

TuboTax too persnickety, not customer focused.  Their policy wrt USCIT ExPat is unpatriotic!   I had to switch to H&R Block two years ago as they accept US Debit or Credit Card from ExPats with Foreign Addresses.  They are slightly more expensive than TurboTax but it is what it is…at least I was able to complete my U.S. Tax obligation as an overseas ExOat thanks to H&R Block 🙏🏻

It is a Turbo Tax limitation.   Intuit chooses not to accept credit cards with a foreign billing address, even though it is a US card.   I've used my credit card with a foreign billing address on Delta Airlines Website and Amazon with no problem.  

ee-ea
Level 15

Get the software thru Amazon.

Can't...........Note: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States.

Hi!

I am running into this same issue, and it makes me just as stressed every time tax season comes around. This is my third year abroad now, and I'm dreading it every year as I feel uncomfortable asking my friends to help me out over and over again.  Is HR Block legit for Americans living abroad? Can someone send me the link? I am seriously looking into better options than Turbo Tax at this point.. because of this ridiculous issue!

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies