Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cangelo101
Returning Member

"Oops, it looks like we're missing some of your personal information like State and Zip"

I have completed all steps of my taxes except for the final step, File. Everytime I try to file it says I am missing some of my personal information like State and Zip. I am living in China, I put my current mailing address in China and labeled it under "Foreign or U.S. Posession". I've checked everything under my personal information is correct multiple times and I am still getting this message, what can I do?

Also, it will not allow me to enter my Chinese phone number.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

"Oops, it looks like we're missing some of your personal information like State and Zip"

First of all,  international contact is not accepted on Form 1040.  IRS will not call you overseas.  

In the program, since the international contact is on the same screen as your foreign address, try to change China's phone number to a US one, then try again.  

Also, read this link: File with foreign address

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the SAME issue!
With regard to the phone number, there is a generic phone number you can enter (found this out from one of the TT forums) which basically tells them that you don't have a US number for them to call you on. Use, (800) 555-1212

I'm in Germany and it won't accept my state & zip either despite being filled out.  

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Here's an article that shows how to enter a foreign address.

How do I enter a foreign address in TurboTax?

I'm having the same issue. In Feb 2019, I talked to the TurboTax folks. They said it was a glitch. I tried to finish again today, 12 March 2019. Still getting the "Oops, ....missing... State and Zip.

Here's my post

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-oops-missing-info-like-state-and-zip-it-s-a-gl...

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Fillip  I notice in your previous post that you said you were able to download, print and mail your return.  Are you still attempting to e-file?

Hi DaralO,

No I don't efile. I've tried a number of times in the past and it gets rejected. Since I'm an overseas expat filing a 2555 I always print and mail, works fine with me. I don't have any refunds nor payments so there's no big need to hurry the filing.

The problem is that online TT software will not let me finish completing the filing software process because it keeps telling me "Oops...State and Zip". I

However, I can view, download, and print out my return. It's really no biggie now since I've just accepted it as a glitch.

ahhhhh this is literally so frustrating. What do we do? If they don't fix the glitch, will we need to print out and mail?

Hi @xxvincentxxx 

Sadly, yes, you need to print out and mail. I've spent way to much time fussing over this and found, for myself, to resign myself to mailing in my return every year. I'm not going to let this glitch stress me out. Again, my take. I totally empathize with you because that's how I too felt for several weeks.

Plus, at this time, it's more troublesome because of the COVID. My suggestion: bite the bullet. Print and mail. If you elect to send the tax return 'registered mail' you should be able to track it. 

Again, I totally empathize with your frustration. A lot of good folks like you and I can't seem to convince TurboTax that they have a glitch. Maybe next year they'll have it fixed, but I'm not counting on it. I'm planning on mailing it again.

This is totally unacceptable! . And why do they get you to pay first if  clearly they can't provide a proper service for expats living abroad .

What era are we living in to have to mail out taxes?? Disgraceful!

Nope, that doesn't help. I live abroad. I have entered my foreign address correctly under "Info" and yet Turbotax gives me this message when I try to file: "Oops, it looks like we're missing some of your personal information like state and zip." I'm filing late in September 2020 and this issue still hasn't been fixed.

I feel your frustration. A 100%. They will take your money, but won't let you file electronically because of a zipcode glitch!

Workaround    

This is caused when the MAX bundle is in the order and there are issues with the information entered in the Personal Info section. This can happen in the following situations:

• You have a foreign mailing address entered, but are paying with a U.S.-based credit/debit card
  • The first name you've entered is only one letter

This can be resolved by temporarily changing your information under Personal Info, then changing it back before filing your return. If you have a foreign address, enter the U.S. billing address for the card you're trying to use. If you have only one letter as your first name, change this to your full first name, as shown on your social security card.

1. Click on the Personal Info tab at the top
  2. Make the necessary changes to your personal Information
  3. Click the File tab at the top and click Start next to Step 1
  4. Continue to pay for TurboTax Online
  5. Continue through the interview until, in Step 3, you've signed the consent form for MAX Assist & Defend
  6. Return to Personal Info and set your mailing address back to the correct address, as described in steps 1-3, before transmitting your return

If you've followed the above steps and you continue to get the error message, it can be resolved by removing the MAX Benefits from your order, which will allow you to file.

Note: If you choose to remove the MAX bundle and file, you will not be able to order it later.

jkbealer

I'm filing in March 2021 and still having the same issue.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@jkbealer Try deleting your address in the MY INFO section, clearing your cache and cookies, then adding your address again.

Remember that if you are using Direct Deposit or a Credit Card, those addresses must be US Addresses.

Click this link for more info on Efiling With a Foreign Address

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies