Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

llh222

oregon state taxes

I take the standard deduction for fed, but want to itemize state deductions.  Cannot do this even though itemized deductions are more than standard deduction.  State does not appear to see my real estate taxes or interest.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

oregon state taxes

Your state income tax that is a deduction on your federal tax return is not deductible on your Oregon tax return. If you subtract that amount from your itemized deductions, your revised itemized deduction total might not be more than your state standard deduction, that is one reason why the itemized deductions may not show on your state tax return.

There may be other deductions that are not allowable in Oregon, you can learn more here:  Oregon itemized deductions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
llh222

oregon state taxes

no, I had to start over and re-enter my data. It calculated the state taxes correctly ( as far as i have seen ) so far.  Your help is as unreliable as your product.  Will not buy it again to many years of frustration.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

oregon state taxes

Unfortunately, we in the Community cannot see your private tax data, therefore, we are totally dependent on what you tell us.

There are slight differences on what is deductible for mortgage interest in the federal than for Oregon, and ditto for real estate taxes. But until we can explore the amounts that you entered on your federal return, we are not in a position to make a detailed answer.

So, you are saying that the state return is in good shape now?

oregon state taxes

I am having the same problem.  I finally found form OR-A (by going to the Forms menu at the top left.  It wasn't listed when I clicked on the Forms menu on the top right.)  Form OR-A shows I have $20,385 in itemized deductions, but TurboTax is plugging my standard deduction of $5210 into form OR-40.  

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

oregon state taxes

Since you are using TurboTax Desktop, you can follow the instructions below to itemize your Oregon deductions:

1. Open your state return.
  2. Go into Forms mode.
  3. On the left, scroll down to the Oregon Individual forms.
  4. Choose Info Worksheet.
  5. In Part V of the Info Worksheet, mark the box that states Itemize even if itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction.
  6. Form OR-A will be added. 

@AndrewJ 

oregon state taxes

Thank you Lena.  That was a quick and easy fix and not only saved me $ on my OR tax return but on the  MET-40 taxes as well!

oregon state taxes

Correct, Lena. But here’s the unanswered question: Why is there not a choice to “calculate best method” instead of “itemize even if less”? That puts the burden on the user. (Assuming they even find this obscure switch.) Certainly TurboTax is smart enough to figure this out, even so far as to offer a screen like: “here’s what we’ve done; agree?”

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies