Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Register Your Return" is a shady, bogus grab for money - can't clear and start over or delete anything - WHY????????

Spoiler
WARNING - EVERYONE MUST READ!

Customers who go all the way through and "register" their return (a step Turbo Tax inserts claiming "security") means they can no longer "clear and start over" or delete any states.   They are STUCK with any mistakes made and are forced to do things like mail in returns and pay for things they no longer need, like a state return.      THIS IS STUPID AND BOGUS.   A SHADY way to lock people into filing with Turbo Tax - that can be the ONLY reason.  That means Turbo Tax doesn't care whether or not the return is correct, they are only concerned with whether or not the person files with them.

I feel every year, i discover something really shady and underhanded about Turbo Tax.  People need to start realizing there are other ways to do taxes these days that do not involve these shady business practices.   Jackson Hewitt online is a perfect example!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

"Register Your Return" is a shady, bogus grab for money - can't clear and start over or delete anything - WHY????????

Yes, the "free" edition does have this drawback -- has been this way for years, in fact, so you're not really shouting about anything new.

I don't work for TT, but I like the program, so I always just buy it each year on Amazon or at Staples on sale. No issues for me so far, especially since it stopped charging extra to file state returns.

The registration process happens in all levels of Turbo Tax. 

I was in the same predicament, however I found a loop hole!

Simply go to tools --> Delete a Tax Document --> and start deleting all your tax documents. 

Voila! Your numbers for both your Fed and State will eventually roll back to 0, and you can begin entering your information like you initally did!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies