Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting the basis of an inherited IRA on Form 8606

How do I report the basis of an inherited IRA from my late spouse on Form 8606?  No distributions have been taken.  Do I simply combine our basis' together and report on one Form 8606 under my SSN?  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

If maintained as a inherited IRA rather than you, as spouse, taking the IRA as your own, the basis in the inherited IRA remains independent of your own and is not to be included on your own Form 8606.  Instead, you would need to create a separate Form 8606 outside of TurboTax to calculate the taxable amount when taking distributions from the inherited IRA, then entering in place of the amount shown in box 2a on the original code-4 Form 1099-R the calculated taxable amount.  You would then include the separately prepared Form 8606 (which you need to mark as being for the inherited IRA) with your mailed paper tax return.

If you have taken the IRA as your own, either by treating it as your own, transferring it to your own IRA or rolling it over to your own IRA, then the basis from the inherited IRA transfers to you.  When the basis transfers to you, in TurboTax you must enter the amount as an adjustment to your own basis by clicking the EasyGuide button after indicating that you made nondeductible traditional IRA contributions and entering the amount as an amount of basis transferred from your deceased spouse.

That's very helpful, thanks dmertz!

I would like a clarification. My spouse died in 2023 after taking her RMD and I then rolled her IRA into mine also in 2023. For tax year 2023, do I put her 2023 end of year basis as a non-deductible contribution to my IRA, or do I do this for 2024 taxes?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You should receive a 1099-R from the financial institution managing your IRA showing a distribution of the complete amount of your rollover in box 1 and a zero in box 2.  It should have code G in box 7.  That is how they should report the rollover to you and how you should report it on your tax return.

@marty231 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies