Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returns with K-1 Forms have to be mailed to Pennsylvania - Unless TT Premier has changed, I cannot e-file a Pennsylvania Tax Return. Can't this be worked out with Pennsylvania as it is a great waste of time, paper, and postage?? PLEASE!!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Returns with K-1 Forms have to be mailed to Pennsylvania - Unless TT Premier has changed, I cannot e-file a Pennsylvania Tax Return. Can't this be worked out with Pennsylvania as it is a great waste of time, paper, and postage?? PLEASE!!!!

Pennsylvania Department of Revenue personal income tax preparation guide page 4 states:

"NOTE: Federal K-1s are not supported in PA e-File software."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for responding to my inquiry about e-filing a PA return with a K-1 form.  I did notice a Turbo tax premier K-1 "worksheet for each of my Limited Partnership investments but I don't know if they would be included in the e-file.   An executive officer from the PA Dept of Revenue is not sure about its inclusion.  Can you determine this for me?  Many thanks!  

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I suggest you go through the "File" routine in TurboTax, if the schedules are not allowed to be e-filed, you will be instructed to mail the return in.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That is probably my lone option.  I can't figure out why TT Premier can not  manage this since they already have a "wokrsheet" for K-1s created in the process.   How do I recommend that?

Given I have to mail my PA State Tax returns do to having Federal K1's not supported by PA State electronic filing, do I have to also mail in copies of each of my K1's or can I just mail in what Turbo Tax printed out for me to mail in?

Yes, you have to add all your K-1 forms when your mail-in your PA state return. 

Thank You. Can I assume that only the PA Schedule RK-1 form or forms need to mailed to the PA State?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

According to Instruction Booklet for the PA-40 [p. 16]:  

• If you are e-filing your return and have a PA Schedule RK-1 or NRK-1 you don't have to mail in anything.
  • If you are e-filing your return and have only a federal K-1,  [not a PA RK-1 or NRK-1] mail in a copy of the K-1 to PA.  [TurboTax does not support attaching PDF copies to personal returns.]
  • If you are filing a paper return, include the PA RK-1 or NRK-1 (or federal K-1) to the return.

@tspazok1

Thank You so much. After reading the PA 40-IN it states the following:

Copies of PA Schedules RK-1 or NRK-1 must be submitted for each S
corporation, partnership or limited liability company in which you are a
shareholder, partner or member. Copies of PA Schedules RK-1 and
NRK-1 must be submitted with all paper returns filed. Electronically filed
returns do not require the separate submission of these schedules as
they are electronically submitted with the electronic return. In cases where
a PA Schedule RK-1 or NRK-1 is not made available, federal Schedule
K-1 should be provided. Federal Schedules K-1 cannot be used to
prepare electronically filed returns as they cannot be electronically
submitted to the department. However, if the software product being used
supports the attachment of PDF files and the income reported on the
federal Schedule K-1 is converted to and reported by PA classification
rules, a federal Schedule K-1 can be used to prepare electronically filed
returns if the schedule and supporting statements are included with the
PDF attachment feature.

It states IF YOUR SOFTWARE PRODUCT SUPPORTS THE ATTACHMENT OF PDF FILES AND THE INCOME REPORTED ON THE FEDERAL SCHEDULE K-1 IS CONVERTED TO AND REPORTED BY PA CLASSIFICATION RULES, A FEDERAL SCHEDULE K-1 CAN BE USED.

So why doesn't TURBO TAX support the above feature. It would make e-filing my PA taxes simple vs printing them out and making copies of forms and using USPS mailing.

Thanks.

For a PA RK-1, where is that info entered in Turbo Tax Premier?  Also, my understanding is that this info (different from my Federal 1041 K-1) has to be entered and submitted with a PA Schedule J.   

Do I need to print my own Schedule J, complete it, input the info manually in to TurboTax PA and then mail?

I use Turbo Tax Deluxe and all I did was print out my PA State Return from Turbo Tax, made copies of my RK-1's and mail my return. I had no requirements for a schedule J in my case.

bquinn09

I have the same question.  The Customer Service agent I called asking how to input line 6 from PA RK-1 did not know the answer and couldn't find one.  That was 90 minutes wasted.  I also read the PA 40 instructions which specifically state attach PA Schedule J for reporting amounts on PA RK-1.  Where is PA Schedule J for PA personal income tax returns in TurboTax?  It should be easy to find, but it's not.  Turbotax, please advise what to do in this case.

Hello bquinn09.   Not sure where I eventually found the info, but to find the Schedule J  for PA in TurboTax:

1.Open your tax file, go to the State.

2.Go to Open Forms (possibly in upper left corner) - (this takes you out of the regular step-by-step process)

3.Either search for Schedule J and find it and click on it - OR -

Open up the PA Individual (click on the + sign), then scroll to find the Schedule J and click on it to open;

There may be other ways to get to the PA Schedule J, but this is the  only way that I eventually found it.

Good luck!

bquinn09

Thanks for your reply!  Were you using the CD/Download version of TurboTax?  I'm using the TurboTax Premier online edition.  Those options don't seem to be offered online.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies