Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I recieve SSI. May I get tax return?

Since the CARES Act is still working its way through Congress and has not been signed into law, there are some questions that can't be answered definitively at this time. Please check for updates here TurboTax Corona Virus Update Center and here IRS Corona Virus Update Center.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Emery333

I want to file my income tax so I can get my stimulus check

Emery333

How about feeling federal tax pause my social security 

Emery333

The other words I can't file income tax for my stimulus check

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

You don't need to file a tax return to get your stimulus check. If you receive social security then the IRS has your bank details already and your check will be sent by direct deposit or sent to the address on record if that's how you are receiving your social security checks.

Lomy85

I have never filed taxes because I am on SSI. Was I surprised to?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you are concerned about receiving the stimulus check you do not have to file a tax return. 

“Social Security recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return do not need to take an action, and will receive their payment directly to their bank account,”

The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 and Form RRB-1099 to generate $1,200 Economic Impact Payments to Social Security recipients who did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019. Recipients will receive these payments as a direct deposit or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their benefits."  Ref: Social Security Recipients Will Automatically Receive Economic Impact Payments

AJ42
Level 1

Thank you for trying to help, however even according to the AARP which reads people on SSI will receive refunds without taxes have now sad they really don't know and many congress people are trying to put that language in because SSI is not Social Security or Social Security disability SSI is supplemental Security income oh, the AARP says we are working on getting the government to correct the language but right now even we are not sure if SSI recipients will get anything

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you have not filed a tax return the IRS will use your SSN associated with your SSI account to issue you your stimulus check.  Having or not having SSI is not a factor in receiving the stimulus payment

AJ42
Level 1

Ok thank you I hope so I have a direct deposit. it'll will be going in there...hopefully ...it's just  the language of the bill is that the AARP and a small group of Congress people are  trying to clear up .  Because SSI not stand for Social Security,  still you get it under Social Security Administration umbrella.  I'm hoping for the best send H&R Block Etc don't know how to file SSI taxes and all the  free government help Etc filing  places are closed  ....  Thank you helping have a great day

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You are most welcome!!!!

CEW3

I receive SSI can I get a tax return?

Carlenekay1
Returning Member

I recieved ssi but I raise my greatgrandbaby can I file taxes

Carlenekay1
Returning Member

So I can file for earned credit on my grandbaby if I only get ssi

@Carlenekay1 No if your income is only Social Security you cannot get the earned income credit or child tax credit.  Those credits are based on having income received from working.   If your grandchild is your dependent you can get s stimulus check ofr yourself and for your dependent grandchild.   If you did not receive the stimulus check for each of you yet then prepare a 2020 return and use the recovery rebate credit.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies