Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulas credit

My wife died January 2, 2020. for tax year 2019 I filed married jointly. The 2020 turbo tax program asked questions as how much stimulus monies received in the first and second payment.  I received 1200.00 and 600.00 respectively to my checking account.  (I believed that to be correct) however turbo tax showed I should of received twice that amount for my deceased spouse and I answered the questions from turbo tax which resulted in a credit for the 1200.00 and 600.00 on the 2020 return.  

Now on March 17,2021 I received 1400.00 to my saving account (which account was used by the SSA for direct deposit for her SSA annuity, mine was deposited into checking.) base on turbo tax questions I should of received 1400.00 for my deceased wife.  Am I correct. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulas credit

No. A third stimulus payment won’t be issued for someone who has died before January 1, 2021. If you filed a joint return in 2020 and your spouse died before January 1, 2021, the decedent will not be included in the calculation of the third payment. You as the surviving spouse, if eligible, will be issued up to $1,400 for you and $1,400 for any qualifying dependents.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulas credit

No. A third stimulus payment won’t be issued for someone who has died before January 1, 2021. If you filed a joint return in 2020 and your spouse died before January 1, 2021, the decedent will not be included in the calculation of the third payment. You as the surviving spouse, if eligible, will be issued up to $1,400 for you and $1,400 for any qualifying dependents.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulas credit

Turbo is asking for the 1st and 2nd Stimulus:

The first was in 2020 the year that we are filing now.  The second was in 2021.  I'm I suppose to enter the 2021 Stimulus for 2800, or just  Stimulus or Just  for the Yr. 2020 for $2400?

Thank you, 

Stimulas credit

You need to enter both stimulus payments, the first that you received in 2020 and the second that you received in January 2021.

Stimulas credit

@Lilly458 wrote:

Turbo is asking for the 1st and 2nd Stimulus:

The first was in 2020 the year that we are filing now.  The second was in 2021.  I'm I suppose to enter the 2021 Stimulus for 2800, or just  Stimulus or Just  for the Yr. 2020 for $2400?

Thank you, 

You enter the Total amount received for the 1st round and the 2nd round as stated on the web page.  The total is what was received by you, your spouse (if applicable) and for your dependents (if applicable)

Stimulus Payment dates.JPG

Stimulas credit

@Lilly458 - it is confusing.  There were 3 stimulus payments.... 

the first two (last spring and January 2021) are the ones that are to be entered on your 2020 tax return. Those are the two it is referring to.   Enter them separately as asked in TT 

the third stimulus which was sent out in March, 2021 is to be entered on your 2021 tax return next year.  if that is the $2800 you are referencing in your post DO NOT enter that on the 2020 tax return (the one we are completing now)

Stimulas credit

Thank You,

I did that, but needed confirmation from someone to make sure I 

I appreciate your help. 

Stimulas credit

I received in 2020 one -$600 stimulus check and not the second one, Turbotax E-filed a 1099  in 2020 for this situation and  I got an email saying it was accepted, thats been 2 month ago, and I received my 1400, for 2021 can anybody help me PLEASE! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies