Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msh688

My wife does not have SSN or ITIN. How should I file my tax return?

Until this year, I have been a Non-Resident and I was filing my tax return while my wife does not have SSN or ITIN. This year, first time, I am filing as a resident for tax purposes and my wife is a J-2 visa holder who does not have SSN or ITIN. How should I file my tax return for year 2016?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarlitaH

Here is some information that should help. You may have to take some additional steps to be able to e-file.

You might need to apply for an ITIN for him.  Per IRS, if your spouse is a nonresident alien, he must have either an SSN or ITIN  if  :

1.  You file a joint return or

2.  You file a separate return and claim an exemption for your spouse, or

3.  Your spouse is filing a separate return.

For filing status, you can file either Married Filing Jointly ( see Nonresident to resident  ) or simply Married Filing Separate. 

[In the TurboTax program, you would follow the step-by-step interview questions to choose the appropriate filing status, enter your spouse information and leave the SSN blank, after print out the return , you can leave it blank or hand-write APPLIED in the space.]

If you want to file Married Filing Separate, you can qualify for an exemption for your spouse only if:

- Your spouse had no gross income.

-- Your spouse won't file a tax return.

- Your spouse didn't qualify as the dependent of another taxpayer.

Additionally, you cannot e-file a tax return which does not include a SSN or ITIN.  If you fall under one of the above conditions, you will have to manually apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ITIN on Form W-7 for him.  

See https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information.   

Although you cannot e-file, you can still use the TurboTax program to prepare your tax return and required forms. Then print, attach to the Form W-7 with the required documentation (see the above link) and submit everything to the IRS Austin location in Texas by mail.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CarlitaH

Here is some information that should help. You may have to take some additional steps to be able to e-file.

You might need to apply for an ITIN for him.  Per IRS, if your spouse is a nonresident alien, he must have either an SSN or ITIN  if  :

1.  You file a joint return or

2.  You file a separate return and claim an exemption for your spouse, or

3.  Your spouse is filing a separate return.

For filing status, you can file either Married Filing Jointly ( see Nonresident to resident  ) or simply Married Filing Separate. 

[In the TurboTax program, you would follow the step-by-step interview questions to choose the appropriate filing status, enter your spouse information and leave the SSN blank, after print out the return , you can leave it blank or hand-write APPLIED in the space.]

If you want to file Married Filing Separate, you can qualify for an exemption for your spouse only if:

- Your spouse had no gross income.

-- Your spouse won't file a tax return.

- Your spouse didn't qualify as the dependent of another taxpayer.

Additionally, you cannot e-file a tax return which does not include a SSN or ITIN.  If you fall under one of the above conditions, you will have to manually apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ITIN on Form W-7 for him.  

See https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information.   

Although you cannot e-file, you can still use the TurboTax program to prepare your tax return and required forms. Then print, attach to the Form W-7 with the required documentation (see the above link) and submit everything to the IRS Austin location in Texas by mail.  

The above answer says = "Although you cannot e-file, you can still use the TurboTax program to prepare your tax return and required forms. Then print, attach to the Form W-7 with the required documentation (see the above link) and submit everything to the IRS Austin location in Texas by mail.  "
But the current TurboTax program doesnt allow me to move to health insurance section. It redirects me back to my info section to fill my wife's ITIN/SSN which i need to apply for. Please help.

Contact support then can remove the lock for the ITIN number

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

To contact Customer Support please click the link below.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

For information on how to obtain an ITIN please click the link below.

How do I get an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did it work for you? Did you end up contacting customer support?

@Claudio111793  if you don't have an ITIN / SSN, just place a dummy SSN in the field in Turbo Tax.  Once you print the final forms, black out the ITIN on Form 1040; The W-7 needs to be part of the mailed package. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies