Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why can't I remove Premium Service Benefits from my purchase?

@ smmmc  wrote:

I click through to "remove" and the page just reloads back with the charge there.  I am losing my mind with this.  I want to remove that service as I did not know it would be $44 to pay the $59 and $49 fees from refund.  I cannot delete it even through performing every step as directed by intuit and the community for removing the Premium Services add on.  Frustrating.

I'll assume you are using this method:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-remove-premium-services/00/26266

One of the steps is to click on "remove" followed by a step "remove and pay by credit card."  Are you not getting any change at all after the first "remove"?

If those steps are not working for you, do you have a different browser handy to see if it could be browser-related? 

Or try this.  Log out of TurboTax and empty your browser Internet cache.  Close browser and reopen it.  This time, open a private window (private browsing aka "incognito mode.")  Then go to the TurboTax website and try to remove it again.

Here's how to reach TurboTax Support for assistance.  You need to get it taken care of before proceeding since they are unlikely to refund it if you proceed to file without removing it.

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

They have used this same underhanded tactic in the 2023 version of TurboTax Deluxe purchased at Costco.com.  There is no way to remove the fee.  This fee is NOT the audit protection fee that is disclosed.  I am not confusing the two. This is the TurboTax Premium Service fee that is not disclosed at all until you are ready to file electronically.

Very Very Very poor tactic

Yes you can remove the Refund Processing Service charge in the Desktop program if you haven't filed yet.  Go back though the File tab SLOWLY and watch out for the screen to pay the state efile fee.  People get going to fast and clicking on the right corner box to continue.  But you have to click on the left box to pay with a credit card to avoid the fee.  I thought I had a screen shot.  I'll go look for it.  

@chilemike  Are you in California?  

If you are in California and want the 20 state efile fee (25 after March 1) deducted from your federal refund you have to sign up for Premium $45 which includes Audit Defense. Or you can pay the 20/25 fee with a credit card to avoid the extra charge. Or you can print and mail state for free.

In California Desktop program to remove Audit Defense and Premium Services you have to change to pay the 20/25 state efile fee by credit card and not by having it deducted from your federal refund. Or print and mail state for free. Go back through the File tab again and change to pay with a credit card. Then if Audit Defense is still there you can remove it.

Here is a screen shot another user posted.  (If you are in California the fee is $45.)

Pay with Refund TTD.JPG

Thanks for the tip.  Usually I do do a hard copy file with the state.  This year I decided to go ahead and pay the $20 but didn't realize that there is a $45 fee to pay the $20. 

Your explanation was quite clear.  Nothing like that on the TurboTax site or even googling didn't really give the explanation.

I still say however, Inuit is attempting to sneak one by underhandedly.  NOWHERE is this process or situation concisely explained or advertised

Exactly. That's where I'm stuck at. Last year I used Premium because I had a very complicated tax return. This year my tax return is very basic, nothing special at all, and they're still trying to charge me for Premium and I see no way to remove it and at no point did it ask or notify me if I still want to use premium. I clicked no on everything additional it tried to offer. 

Doing my taxes this year on Turbotax, so many offers and stuff popped up. It's crazy but getting to the end and seeing a massive charge for Premium when I was never asked is crazy. It really feels like they're trying to pull a scam. 

@KingDavidXXIV

How can I see my TurboTax  fees? 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

If your TurboTax fees are higher than expected, you can reduce them by removing add-ons     (BEFORE you e-file) :

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ee-ea
Level 15

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies