Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax is getting too expensive and not up front about costs and fees making the overall experience incredibly frustrating. Not going to file next year with Turbo tax.

Try out the FreeTaxUSA, it's easy to use and cost me about $150 less that Turbo.

barb1961

Turbo tax is getting too expensive and not up front about costs and fees making the overall experience incredibly frustrating. Not going to file next year with Turbo tax.

Oh my.  I just did my 2020.  I so agree.  I live in OK.  For both federal and state it was $240.  Last year I made no money.  I just was approved for disability.   Same story every year... sigh.  

@barb1961 wrote:

Oh my.  I just did my 2020.  I so agree.  I live in OK.  For both federal and state it was $240.  Last year I made no money.  I just was approved for disability.   Same story every year... sigh.  

Why in the world did you agree to pay $240?  There is a Free online edition and even if your tax data was not supported by the Free online edition you could have used the Deluxe edition at $40 and if you needed to file a state return it would only have been an additional $40 for a total of $80.

Or if you were eligible you could have used the TurboTax Free File Program - 

If you are eligible you can use the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax which is free to file both a federal and state tax return. The IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2020 federal and state tax returns with the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2020 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $39,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2020 AGI of $72,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

See this TurboTax support FAQ on the Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the difference between the Free File Program and the Free edition - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-s-the-difference-between-free-file-pr...
And see this TurboTax support FAQ on how to switch to the TurboTax Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

My Turbotax fee is going up by the minute, literally. This morning my fee was $90 for premier. Later this afternoon it went up to $95. This is ridiculous. I will find an alternative tax software this year. Too bad they are getting extremely greedy. 

I still see 90.  Where do you see 95?  Are you trying to file?  Could it be sales tax?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You can view here the price for Turbo Tax Premier is still currently $90 plus the additional fee for the state. 

If you have additional questions, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for clarifying that Turbo tax for most of us would be $140.00, 90 for the federal and 50 for the state.  Own a side hustle or business and price goes up.

Here it is 2021, doing my 2020 taxes & same thing: Site doesn't allow me to keep the less expensive pkg I started with.  After I finished income part of return the I was forced to choose the highr priced Deluxe in order to move forward.  i don't like to support that kind of business practice so am looking into others.  My stuff is pretty simple except for a retirement account distribution taken.  Any opinions on the easiest, most helpful & less expensive sites would be welcome....Thx

I’m going with TaxAct now. Too bad intiut is getting so greedy. It’s a shame really. Bad management. 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@SHT2020 Once you attempt to enter information that is not supported by your current edition of Turbo Tax, the system will prompt you to upgrade to the most suitable version. The  product guide below details the various options; you may click on the blue links within the FAQ to learn more about each version and the tax situation it supports.

Turbo tax 2020 Product Guide

For 2020 I paid $225 for Federal and State.....way too much.  I can have my

taxes done by a CPA for that amount.  Next year!!!   Stearns

I have used Turbo Tax for years and this is the first year that I was hit with this many fees at the end of the filing process. I will NOT use Turbo Tax again!  I will find an alternative or pay a professional if it's going to cost this much. The fact that it doesn't come up till after you have done all of the entry work is deceptive.....

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

When reviewing the Payment Summary, you will see the fees for the: federal product, state, and the other fees are optional. Also, if you don't want to pay for state, you can remove state.

Please see this TurboTax FAQ, to see how to remove the other fees, What can I do to reduce my fees

The fees for TurboTax Online are tax preparation fees, that's why you don't see them until the end, however, you can view the TurboTax Online fees here, before you start.

This product is MORE and MORE prohibitive to use and More and More Expensive every year.  Not likely this household will return again....been with them a long time and get more pissed every year.  Expensive with lots of hoops just to get going each year, NOT user friendly, never sure if everything has been covered and each of the last 4 years, have had to pay additional to State and Feds after they have reviewed the return(s).  Last year was over $5K because of a box that should NOT have been checked that wasn't part of the previous years but carried over to that year.... Tired of it.  Hard to get set up each year, doesn't carry through information, doesn't clearly explain topics, Costs ALWAYS get higher and user friendliness ALWAYS gets worse!  Good Luck to your company!  May want to read a few of these!

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you are looking for a complete free filing, you might want to consider another option.  It's called the TaxFreedom which is an IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax.  It is exclusively available online and has its own dedicated website at taxfreedom.com

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies