Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax crashes upon launch after update

This worked for me as well, thank you!
I am running TT2020 Home&Business.

This is EXACTLY the bug that happened in the 2019 version of TurboTax, which they finally tracked to some programmer test code that accidentally got left in the product that shipped. Very shoddy software engineering going on at Intuit, if they create a huge bug, finally acknowledge it and track down that it's their fault, and then the following tax year, make exactly the same mistake.

Intuit software is the only MacOS software I've ever found that creates corrupted files that have to be deleted to restore normal operation. Perhaps they spend thousands of hours testing it on Windows, with which they're more familiar, and then do a superficial job of testing it on MacOS?

Xavious85

I'm having a similar issue on my Mac; I was almost finished with my taxes when suddenly the program quit.  I was unable to get TurboTax Deluxe 2020 to reload after that crash.  I attempted restarting my machine, then uninstalling, restarting and reinstalling.  The experience is the same, the program attempts to start but ultimately does not.  I attempted looking for the cached crash folder but was not seeing anything related to t he Turbo Tax application crash in there.  Unfortunately, after a call with Turbo Tax tech support there does not appear to be a solution so I've requested a refund and will instead be going with H&R Block's software for my taxes this year.  

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2019 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac
IMPORTANT: Also if present remove: ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks for the recommendation.. In my instance I followed the uninstall instructions and reinstalled the product and the problem persisted. However only after deleting the additional files in ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax was I able to bypass the crash. In addition to this crash bug being fixed, the uninstall instructions should be updated to remove the files in ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax if present.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

@pnjmd48 Do you have a question to ask us?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pnjmd48

The only question I have remaining is what is the fault or characteristic of the last update batch which triggers a memory crash??  

ydopen

THANK YOU!!  

Step 2 (deleting all files under ~/Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax) resolved the issue.

So glad people like you are there to help. 

pvanamst is my hero!

How Do We Get A Refund For This Crap TurboTax2020 Application?

Fix did not work!

@IWantARefundForTT2020CrapFest wrote:

How Do We Get A Refund For This Crap TurboTax2020 Application?

Fix did not work!

Yo were answered on one of your various other posts on how to contact TurboTax support for this issue.

I don't have the time to contact these idiots.

I want the refund, and they will not reply to e-mail.  Twitter and social media are soon coming up to bat.

@IWantARefundForTT2020CrapFest wrote:

I don't have the time to contact these idiots.

I want the refund, and they will not reply to e-mail.  Twitter and social media are soon coming up to bat.

If you want a refund you have to contact TurboTax support as they are the only ones who have the authority to handle any type of Billing Issue.  No one on this forum can access your account.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Completely missing the point!  What is the direct line to those people.  I do not want another call center script kiddy idiot.

And I can not contact them during their business hours, as I am at work then.  They need to figure out how to do this during the hours we are not at work, when we will be doing taxes!

@ IWantARefundForTT2020CrapFest  wrote:

Completely missing the point!  What is the direct line to those people.  I do not want another call center script kiddy idiot.

And I can not contact them during their business hours, as I am at work then.  They need to figure out how to do this during the hours we are not at work, when we will be doing taxes!

Support is open 16 hours/day every day this time of year.   TurboTax Support hours this time of year are 5AM-9PM Pacific 7 days a week.

Here's a general support phone number:   (800) 446-8848.

Say "billing issue."  If you say "refund", it may offer you info about a tax refund.

Or use this contact form to be assigned a phone number and an incident number.   For topic enter billing issue without quotes.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Or you can use this online refund request form 24 hours per day without having to talk to anyone.  After submitting the request you get a tracking number, and the tool allows you to track your refund request.  This is the method I would use if I had to submit one.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-request-a-refund-for-my-turbotax-product/...

ldharbour

This also works on Turbotax Deluxe 2021!!!  I deleted the files in  ~/Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax/Data and  ~/Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax/Reports and all worked well after that

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies