turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax deluxe for investments

I have successfully used TurboTax Deluxe (Windows download version) to complete my tax return for many years.  I'm seeing stronger language from TurboTax this year implying that I will need to use the Premier version because investment information can not be downloaded from the provider (Fidelity, TDAmeritrade, Vanguard, etc.) into TurboTax Deluxe.  Is this true?  If so, I will be using another provider rather than pay the much higher price for the Premier version.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@ theTA007 

Addendum:
You can go to the page below, scroll down to see the chart of features for each desktop product, and you'll see that all 4 desktop product editions (CD/download) have a "dot" for the ability "importing financial data including W-2s, investment and mortgage information..."

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

View solution in original post

@transmorphik wrote:

As of January 2021, the choice between Premier online and Deluxe on CD appears to a wash, financially speaking, since both cost $70.  The motivation for purchasing either of the above two products is that both are able to automatically import investment data.

If this is incorrect, please respond and correct me.

Currently Online Premier is discounted at $70 for a Federal return (normally $90) and $40 for a state return (normally $50).   The discount disappears in March for anyone who hasn't yet filed at that time or paid in advance to lock in the discount.    So if you purchase it now and have both Fed and state returns, the total would be $110 plus tax if paid before March.   NOTE:  If you choose to pay the fees out of the Federal refund, there is an additional service fee of $40 ($45 for California filers.)

The price of Deluxe CD/download depends on "where" you purchase it.  If purchasing directly from TurboTax, it is currently discounted to $70 (normally $80 in March).     It includes the state program when purchased from TurboTax.    So if you have both returns, the currently discounted Deluxe desktop $70 for Fed and state would be compared to Online Premier's current $110 for Fed and state.     There is no efiling fee in an online product, but in the desktop Deluxe product, there is a $20 fee to efile each state return, except no fee to efile NY state.  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns. 

If you buy Deluxe outside of the TurboTax website, be aware it comes in 2 versions--one that is Federal-only, and one that is a combo Fed and State.  So be sure you buy the correct one that you need.    The FAQ below tells about being sure it is an authorized reputable dealer.  Very few are authorized for TurboTax downloads, and they are generally well-known large retailers.    At Amazon, for instance, be sure it is a legitimate authorized product from Intuit sold directly by Amazon itself, since there's no way to be sure all third-party sellers on Amazon are legitimate.   Here's a list of authorized retailers:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/where-can-i-buy-the-turbotax-software/01/2...

Be aware there are "too-good-to-be true" Internet scam sites selling fake or pirated software.  Only companies in the above FAQ are authorized for legit TurboTax downloads.

Online Premier and desktop Deluxe (CD/download) can both import financial forms such as 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-B, etc. IF your brokerage/financial institution is a participating partner in the TurboTax import feature.    ONLINE Deluxe, however, cannot import a 1099-B since it cannot handle Schedule D capital gains/losses.  But desktop Deluxe (CD/download) can import 1099-B since it can handle all forms, including investment sales and capital gains/losses.

There are some advantages to the desktop product that are not present in the online products.  First of all, the CD/download version has the handy Forms Mode (which Online TurboTax does not), which allows one to view and even edit some forms during preparation.   The desktop version can prepare multiple Federal returns with up to 5 free Federal efiles.  As I mentioned above, there is a state efile fee in the desktop version except for New York, but no fee to print and mail a state return.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

@ theTA007 

Where exactly are you seeing that?

It is ONLINE Deluxe (web version) that cannot handle investment income from sales transactions, since it cannot prepare Schedule D for capital gains/losses.    All desktop CD/download products (including Deluxe) can handle sales of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc, and can import from brokerages, etc.

TurboTax may recommend Premier for investment income, since it offers more detailed help with that topic, but desktop Deluxe (CD/download) is capable of handling it.

@ theTA007 

Addendum:
You can go to the page below, scroll down to see the chart of features for each desktop product, and you'll see that all 4 desktop product editions (CD/download) have a "dot" for the ability "importing financial data including W-2s, investment and mortgage information..."

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Thank you!!

As of January 2021, the choice between Premier online and Deluxe on CD appears to a wash, financially speaking, since both cost $70.  The motivation for purchasing either of the above two products is that both are able to automatically import investment data.

@transmorphik wrote:

Currently Online Premier is discounted at $70 for a Federal return (normally $90) and $40 for a state return (normally $50).   The discount disappears in March for anyone who hasn't yet filed at that time or paid in advance to lock in the discount.    So if you purchase it now and have both Fed and state returns, the total would be $110 plus tax if paid before March.   NOTE:  If you choose to pay the fees out of the Federal refund, there is an additional service fee of $40 ($45 for California filers.)

The price of Deluxe CD/download depends on "where" you purchase it.  If purchasing directly from TurboTax, it is currently discounted to $70 (normally $80 in March).     It includes the state program when purchased from TurboTax.    So if you have both returns, the currently discounted Deluxe desktop $70 for Fed and state would be compared to Online Premier's current $110 for Fed and state.     There is no efiling fee in an online product, but in the desktop Deluxe product, there is a $20 fee to efile each state return, except no fee to efile NY state.  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns. 

If you buy Deluxe outside of the TurboTax website, be aware it comes in 2 versions--one that is Federal-only, and one that is a combo Fed and State.  So be sure you buy the correct one that you need.    The FAQ below tells about being sure it is an authorized reputable dealer.  Very few are authorized for TurboTax downloads, and they are generally well-known large retailers.    At Amazon, for instance, be sure it is a legitimate authorized product from Intuit sold directly by Amazon itself, since there's no way to be sure all third-party sellers on Amazon are legitimate.   Here's a list of authorized retailers:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/where-can-i-buy-the-turbotax-software/01/2...

Be aware there are "too-good-to-be true" Internet scam sites selling fake or pirated software.  Only companies in the above FAQ are authorized for legit TurboTax downloads.

Online Premier and desktop Deluxe (CD/download) can both import financial forms such as 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-B, etc. IF your brokerage/financial institution is a participating partner in the TurboTax import feature.    ONLINE Deluxe, however, cannot import a 1099-B since it cannot handle Schedule D capital gains/losses.  But desktop Deluxe (CD/download) can import 1099-B since it can handle all forms, including investment sales and capital gains/losses.

There are some advantages to the desktop product that are not present in the online products.  First of all, the CD/download version has the handy Forms Mode (which Online TurboTax does not), which allows one to view and even edit some forms during preparation.   The desktop version can prepare multiple Federal returns with up to 5 free Federal efiles.  As I mentioned above, there is a state efile fee in the desktop version except for New York, but no fee to print and mail a state return.

rleth001

Just finished doing my taxes and found this thread after researching why I was prompted to upgrade to Premier. I am curious as to whether there was a change from last year in the capabilities of the different tiers, because my I did not do anything I didn't do last year in regards to investments, yet I was able to complete my taxes with Deluxe Online, yet this year it prompted me to upgrade to Premier.

No change.  You need Online Premier to enter investment sales or K-1.  Maybe you didn't have any sales last year?  Or you used the Desktop program?  All the desktop programs have the same forms so you can use a lower version.  Or you don't remember upgrading.  

No change in the way that the software actually works.  The Deluxe download version contains everything I need for my investments.   I've had no problem entering my investment information for 2020 via download from my brokers, exactly the same process as last year. 

The prompt to upgrade to Premier is most likely simply that TurboTax wants to collect more money from you.  It is very annoying that TT asks me about upgrading every time I open the software to add something else to my return (and in the same way that it wants me to add another state after I've already responded that I want only one state calculation/filed because I know I do not need TT to help me file in my home state).

gilfeath

Can I download my broker tax information statement as I did last year?

You should be.  You need either Online Premier or any of the Desktop CD/Download programs. 

Importing 1099 forms

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-my-1099/00/26254

JQ6
Level 2

Can someone please tell me if I can use the tax year 2022 Deluxe "CD" version to import my Fidelity investment composite download with includes 1099-DIV, 1099-INT and 1099-B ?

Its bit confusing since some post say yes and some say no. I believe the Deluxe Online version does not let you do that whereas Deluxe CD version does.   

@JQ6 wrote:

Can someone please tell me if I can use the tax year 2022 Deluxe "CD" version to import my Fidelity investment composite download with includes 1099-DIV, 1099-INT and 1099-B ?

Its bit confusing since some post say yes and some say no. I believe the Deluxe Online version does not let you do that whereas Deluxe CD version does.   

Yes, the TurboTax Deluxe CD software supports importing of Forms 1099.

See this website for supported forms and schedules for the Deluxe desktop edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/irs-forms/

See this TurboTax support FAQ for importing Form 1099's - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/import-1099s/L2...

I am trying to download my information from Vanguard and not having any luck.  WHy is this not working

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Are there any specific error messages being received? @lauralee54 .

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies