Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Turbotax is not letting me E file my New York State taxes but New York state does not allow you to mail it in! My federal return was E files and accepted.

If TurboTax has indicated you need to file your NY return by mail, you can go ahead and mail your return.

Please see the E-file requirement on the NY website:  E-file Mandate

"You're required to electronically file your return if you meet all three of the following conditions:

• you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return;
  • your software supports the electronic filing of your return; and
  • you have broadband Internet access."

However, if TurboTax does not allow you to e-file, the second condition has not been met.

Here is a link that will provide more details about Printing and Mailing your tax return:  Printing and Mailing my TurboTax Return

Regarding your question related to the New York City Return, you can delete those forms by going to Tax Tools/Tools/Delete a Form and scroll down to locate the NYC return and delete the related forms, OR alternatively,  when you print the New York State Return to mail, you can remove the NYC Forms which will be included in that printing queue and discard those.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Saibalm

Turbotax is not letting me E file my New York State taxes but New York state does not allow you to mail it in! My federal return was E files and accepted.

This is a problem of the turbo tax. And huge inconvenience for all of us. This should have been well documented in the front page of the website. You don't even realized till you pay and ready to e-file. this is absolutely not acceptable !! 

I reviewed and re-started my NY return many times and spoke with customer service who also couldn't help me. I followed the suggestion of another reply that said to delete out the zero's that I had put into many boxes and was just given the choice to e-file! Do not put 0s in when you don't have a number to enter, just leave the box blank. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

@Kaseystraus

Do you have any income from a New York source? 

New York is now taxing remote workers if the company is based in New York. 

sshuh78

Hi

I completed my tax return for 2019 and when I am ready for e-file, Turbo tax would not allow me to e-file on my New York State tax. At the same time, It says NYS does not allow mail-in tax return.

How should I handle this matter? Please advise.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

As posted earlier in this thread by CarolynM:

... while New York generally requires you to e-file, there is an exception if the software does not allow for e-file.

Because New York has a higher standard for identity verification that the IRS, it has become common for federal tax returns to be accepted for e-file and NY state tax returns to be rejected. 

If you are NOT including a payment, mail your return to:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER
PO BOX 61000
ALBANY NY 12261-0001

If you ARE including a payment (check or money order), mail your return (including Form IT-201-V) to:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER
PO BOX 15555
ALBANY NY 12212-5555

I am sorry. I know it's easier to e-file. 

wgfletch

for anyone having this issue...check your W-2 box14 categories...I have a feeling that the paid family leave act is causing issues when people are not categorizing it correctly  and it is flagging it in turbotaxs system

i just reviewed mine and my wife's after i adjusted that i was then able to Efile 

I finally got it to work today too.  I went into Tax Tools/Tools/Delete a Form and just started deleting all the NY forms.  Then I went back to the state section and verified that in all the sections the numbers were correct.  For me, none of the forms were actually deleted as far as I could tell, but my refund was off until I clicked through all of the steps.  When I went to file, it was still defaulted to file by mail, but now the option to e-file became available.

I tried to do this, but it would not let me delete all the New York forms, it would not delete about four forms.  Did this also happen for you? When I redid the state taxes after, it still is not letting me e-file.  I am going crazy here and do not know what to do. Thanks!

Very frustrating not to be able to File State taxes especially in this COVID epidemic.  I will mail my taxes and hope  to get my refund eventually.  Turbo tax should reimburse us or upgrade our account to include the identity protection.

• Very frustrating not to be able to File State taxes especially in this COVID epidemic.  I will mail my taxes and hope  to get my refund eventually.  Turbo tax should reimburse us or upgrade our account to include the identity protection.
Angel7679

Do I need to file an amended return on paper because it says It was submitted twice

rfschiavo

After I got the warning saying I could not e-file, I went back to the Review tab and it explained what was wrong (in my case was the 414H from W2 misclassified). I wish TT would explain that directly on the message saying I could not efile.

In the end I was able to eFile normally. 

danjo2
Returning Member

What is the correct NY paid family leave code in the W2 line 14?  I am also unable to efile.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Are you saying that you don't have an entry in your box 14 for paid family leave?

It is normally NYPFL.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies