Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax is not letting me E file my New York State taxes but New York state does not allow you to mail it in! My federal return was E files and accepted.

I find this infuriating, and I also think this should be on the first page. We do have options to file electronically with other companies, so turbotax not indicating this hassle is not good. I've been on two 30 min calls already on this, and having no luck. Indeed, no one seems to have heard of the problem. I end up reading the passages above to people. I think we should be refunded our turbo tax costs to equal the cost of mailing at the very least. I would have used another outfit if I knew this was going to be an issue. I feel totally hoodwinked, and I'm more than annoyed at the poor customer service on this front. 

fk_bk

Turbotax is not letting me E file my New York State taxes but New York state does not allow you to mail it in! My federal return was E files and accepted.

Hello,

This issue is driving everyone nuts, but I don't believe it is one thing that may be causing it. I think it is individual. I had a great experience with on of the tax pro's named Gillian.

Here is what worked for me:

1. Clean out cookies/cache from your browser history. 

2. While in TurboTax, on the right request a to chat with someone, it may ask a few questions, then say it did not resolve the issue and request a call. It will confirm your phone number with you and Gillian called me within 5 minutes. 

3. Ask agent to RUN A DIAGNOSTIC of your return. You will have to share your return with them, but they will run you through the process.  There is a button to COBROWSE on the bottom and an area under tools where you get a 6 digit code.

4. This will give the agent access to your file and see where the error is showing up. Once we fixed a few things we were able to go back in and e-file button showed up. 

Hope this helps! I have to say the agent was very very helpful, cobrowse the screen and highlighted where I needed to click. Made a stressful situation easy. 

I had the same issue, the software will not give my the option to e-file my NYS return. I called support numerous times and no one was able to help me or provide an answer to what the issue was. We should be refunded, this company lies that's why they've been sued by customers before!

Per their help article "our unconditional 60-day money-back guarantee only applies to TurboTax CD/Download products. Per our End User License Agreement for TurboTax OnlineYou may use the TurboTax Online software without charge up to the point you decide to print or electronically file your tax return. Printing or electronically filing your return reflects your satisfaction with software, at which time you will be required to pay or register for the Services."

This is untrue because you are required to pay before they allow you to see if you can e-file your return. I paid for the software assuming I would be able to e-file or make the necessary changes that would enable me to do so. I previewed my NYS return to help me determine what was the underlying issue, but now it thinks that I printed the return to paper file it.  DON'T USE THIS SOFTWARE, THEY LIE, STEAL YOUR MONEY AND DON'T HELP YOU!

It’s 2020 and I  have the same problem. BTW, I was able to file in 2019.

crohner

DO NOT PURCHASE IF YOU ARE IN NY. I have a simple return and it won't allow me to file. It's utter bull**bleep**.

Thank you so much!!! I went back and deleted the 414H field and then it worked.

I have never been informed by Turbo Tax that NYS is not accepting e-file Additionally I have been given the run around for several weeks by your so called experts one even terminated a conversation. I need to correct info on my NYS return which I was told was already filed I am 74 years old used your service for several years without incident but this year is a nightmare 

As I paid for the deluxe package I would expected  to be treated differently 

John Mc [PII removed]

I agree, when I spoke to the TurboTax rep 2 weeks ago they could not even tell me why this issue was occurring, only advised me to wait to weeks until 2/12 the date returns would be accepted to see if the efile option for NYS returns would be available on TurboTax software, obviously it wasn’t.  That caused me to delay mailing my return to NYS.  Terrible customer service and software instruction on this issue.  I asked for a partial refund and was told the payment is the IRS fees which really didn’t make sense to me.  So there was no refund and no efile option.  I’ll be driving to a mailbox today, so frustrating.

Its Feb 26 2020 and I cannot e-file my NYS return.  It states on the form that it has to be electronically filed!

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@lizzy49 What TurboTax product are you using and what error are you getting when trying to e-file your NYS return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm not using the "software", I'm using your website which is telling me I cannot e-file my NYS taxes.  I've already set up payment for what I owe to be debited.

I'm using your website to file.

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for letting me know which product you're using. Can you please tell me what is the error code you're getting when trying to e-file?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have not tried this yet, but why couldn't the reps tell us this when we called? Turbotax, you might need to provide a little more training for your reps. 

You can't do this if you have already paid. I am stuck. Turbo Tax will not allow me to file my NY tax returns and I can't delete and start over

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies