Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax is not letting me E file my New York State taxes but New York state does not allow you to mail it in! My federal return was E files and accepted.

There are a lot of those. One told me, it will be ready when it's ready. Another one pretended he could hear me even though I saw him check his headphones when I said is there something wrong with your headphones? He actually went get a glass of water, sat there drinking it and then ignored me until he hung up and put in his notes that we had connectivity issues.

Turbotax is not letting me E file my New York State taxes but New York state does not allow you to mail it in! My federal return was E files and accepted.

TurboTax is aware of and  investigating the issue with not being able to e-file the state after e-filing the federal.  Here is an updated article with a link to get updates when this is resolved:

Unable to e-file state after e-filing federal 

New York state does not want to receive paper forms, but will process them if they are sent.  If you print to mail in TurboTax there will be a cover page with directions , what to include, and the address to mail to.  Make sure you sign the return before mailing it.

The date has already passed for them to take the money out of my account.  That date is on my NY state return that I had to mail in,

Wow, how does mailing in a form have anything to do with higher standard with identify verification?
Are they checking the fingerprints on the return?  What happens if I use gloves?
This is like saying the Sky is Blue and that is why you can not e-file your NY State Return.
I have a simple return but it seems I cannot e-file ever in NY.

The real reason is NY State has limitations with its tax system.

A common cause of the NY return not efiling is if there is income in box 14 of the W-2 that has been designated as tax exempt. Make it taxable and it will efile.

I have the same problem. If I'm due a refund, is the only choice to have a check mailed to me (rather than a direct deposit to my checking account) because I've not been able to transmit any banking information?

Merce64

So what happens to the direct-deposit payment I authorized if TT won't e-file my NYS tax form? Once you print and mail, will the state still deduct the amount due from my bank account (as noted in your tax form) or should I ignore that section of my state tax return and still mail a check? That was all set up when TT was going to e-file (as it did with the IRS). 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Yes.  Ignore that section and still lmail a check.  That part is not e-filed and therefore not in the system until you mail a return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LeaJB

Unfortunately I must mail in my NYS tax return because Turbo tax will not allow me to file electronically.  Can you please provide the mailing address?  When I download my doc all it says is that NY mandates that taxes are filed electronically. It doesn't provide a mailing address.

@LeaJB wrote:

Unfortunately I must mail in my NYS tax return because Turbo tax will not allow me to file electronically.  Can you please provide the mailing address?  When I download my doc all it says is that NY mandates that taxes are filed electronically. It doesn't provide a mailing address.

Go to this NY website for the mailing addresses - https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/return_assembly_mail.htm

yes

I had to call their help desk several times, but got both my NY and my Federal Returns sent electronically.  Have them call you, they should be able to resolve the issue.

Greg Baumbach  

Thanks for the update.
My situation is the NY State Tax Return system is not designed to accept all returns.
This was a problem for me in previous tax years (before 2021).
I am hoping I can electroncally file my 2021 NY State Tax return. 
NY State needs to upgraded their tax systems to be in compliance with the NY State laws that requires tax payers to electronically submit tax returns.

I called on five occasions and finally got one Representative, Gina, who talked to their tech department, as neither of my taxes would go, kept getting told my credit card was having issues, and to try again later.  (Last year I had to mail mine to NY, but this year I wanted both returns to go electronically!)

I ended up with an unorthodox answer, but it worked for both returns, and my NY State and Federal were BOTH accepted the day after I submitted them.  You might try them again and see if they have an answer, as I got an email from them telling me the problem was resolved on Wednesday of this week.

Good luck! 

Greg

@cassandra-schmidt wrote:
I had the same problem as well. I was able to fix it by deleting any "0s" that I entered for non-applicable fields. I think the system processes "0s" as invalid numbers. I hope this helps!

3 years later this is still a problem - and 3 years later this is still the solution. Support led me on a wild goose chase advising that it may not be ready, even though the system states it was ready for download and filing today...Removed those zeroes and it immediately pushed through the e-filing system!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies