Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Update and state download not working. Update progress window just stays frozen. Is there another way to get state (using deluxe/with state product online)

That worked for me too... I copied the mdi_20 directory from the PC it was working on to the non-working PC and voila it now works.  Huge thanks for the work around as it seems like they haven't fixed this issue going on over 1yr. 

C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2020\Forms\mdi_20 (MD in my case)

Update and state download not working. Update progress window just stays frozen. Is there another way to get state (using deluxe/with state product online)

When opening it demanded I install updates.  Update failed over and over.  Disabled firewall, antivirus and all the other solutions.  Finally gave up, uninstalled Turbotax 2021.  Reinstalled with the purchased CD.  It then downloaded a "current" version.  It finally opened Turbotax, but then demands I spend $40 to download Illinois (which was the free download I had before I was forced to uninstall).  It refuses to open until I pay the $40.  This appears to be simple blackmail to force people to only use the online version?

Is there any way to fix?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried to manually update the software?

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I solved the problem.  Mine did the same thing when I tried to download my Michigan.  It was obviously updating instead of downloading.   I uninstalled my turbo-tax program and installed it again because I thought I needed to do that to turn off the auto updating.  I don't think you need to uninstall and reinstall.  Go to Online on the menu--updater preferences--Click on --- ask me before getting updates.  That stopped it from updating instead of downloading.

Go to menu- online - updater preferences - turn off auto updates!  It was obviously updating instead of downloading.

Yes, and that is when the product would no longer open.  After that I deinstalled, reinstalled from CD, it updated when 1st opened, and that is when I found that it wanted $40 for Illinois .......... it would not open the return that I had 90% done ...........until I paid $40.   But now I know more .......... apparently in deinstall it deleted my 90% done return.   How it still knew I was Illinois after deleting my 90% return, I do not understand.

Today I am going to see if it will let me start over ....... I can live without Illinois if it will let me.  Illinois actually has a better on-line filing app than Turbotax anyway.

It allowed me to start a new return ........ hopefully it will let me finish it.

I was able to finish .......... Illinois shows up at top of screen ......... but when ask it to calculate Illinois ........ it 1st says software is up-to-date ........... then it wants to download after I pay.   No thanks, will just use Illinois free online tax filing.

Turbotax seems to get more bug filled every year.

Randy A
Returning Member

I am having a problem with NC State Income Tax not updating/downloading.  Trying to filw my taxes.  But I cannot get into the BAILEYS Retirement to check on my MIlitary Retired Pay Deduction ...  PLEASE ADVISE !!!  Diagnostics says NC STATE TAX forms have downloaded on 1/27/23.  As of 1/30/23  STILL CANNOT get it to work or print my Tax forms ... Signed RandyA from NC 

Randy A
Returning Member

YES, Having the Same problem.   I cannot view, edit or Print my NC State.  Tried your suggestion.  NOT WORKING !!!  RandyA in NC

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We just need a few clarifying details before we can assist you further.  Which software version are you using - Download/CD or Online?  What screen within the software are you experiencing the issue?  Are you able to get into your NC State Return at all? Are you receiving a specific error message or blank screen?

Please respond here in the thread and we will be happy to help you.  

@Randy A

itjust downloaded fed update but i need Calif state program

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@garydschna 

What issue are you having? Also, can you let us know which software version of TurboTax you are using, either online or CD/Download?

This does not work! Cannot download state.  Purchased 2nd turbo tax and that also does not work.  Never buying Turbo Tax again!!!!

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We need additional details to be able to assist you further.  What is the specific error message you are getting?  Which state are you trying to download?

@PENNYT 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies