turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Updates for turbotax 2020 will not install. Any suggestions?

@jinjin266 - I wasn't really sure where your hiccup is occurring.  But I had a similar experience with activation.

Was your computer purchased after Oct 10, 2020 and / or loaded with Windows 2H02?  That appears to be what is causing the hang-up - the interaction between TT and Win2h02.

I was able to resolve the activation issue by changing the resolution to 600x800 and THEN launching TT for activation. 

jinjin266

I had no problems with installing the software (purchased Jan 2021).  It got stuck on the update before the "check for errors" step and wouldn't install the updates.  All good now after turning off my antivirus just for the update.  

My Turbotax 2020 is not updating

Once I got past the difficulties of doing the initial install/updating I kept following  this thread. The one thing that's become apparent is that the TT updates don't often mesh with the Microsoft updates.  The thing that has worked for me is to deactivate the anti-virus. before updating  I originally had to uninstall, deactivate the av and start over.  I have not had to uninstall/reinstall since.  

dwalker_fl
Returning Member

When I click to update, it just hangs.  It says it will take 6 min, but it does not move.

I can't close it either.

I am not sure what is going on this year.  I have used TT for over 10 years and this is horrible.  Having issues with both TT Business and Deluxe.  It takes hours to deal with this.  Horrible.  Last year for TT

turbotaxhell.png

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Here's an article to help you with a manual update.  

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
galljj
Returning Member

The link on that web page does not work.  I had to copy the URL and paste it in a new tab in my browser.  I was able to download and launch the update.  It said it was successful.  But when I relaunch TT, it says to update, which i click on, and get the same error.  Stuck in a loop.  Permissions are all ok, and turned off virus protection, all to no avail. What is the URL for the most recent update ?

This the latest superpatch ... You may need to copy and paste it to download the patch

http://patchdelivery.turbotax.intuit.com/w_perrelsuperpatch_ttax_2020 * * 250 * *0100.exe

Patch 2020 * * * 250 * * * 0100 ... copy the link, remove the *  * and replace with a single period

at each location

galljj
Returning Member

Thanks Bruce. 

But that's the patch I've already downloaded.  It doesn't work for me - when launch the .exe file and the install is finished, it says it was updated.  But when I click to launch TT2020 it says to get an update, tries to install an update and ends up with the error message.

Oddly i just downloaded the TT premier yesterday, and updated it with no problem.

I wonder if the issue is related to my state return ?  I seem to recall that there was an issue last year with NY and Massachusetts last year.  Mine is MA.

j

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried to manually update? Here's an article to help you with a manual update.  

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)  

Watch MD Tech video on YouTube to fix Windows Installer.   Follow the steps.

Then open Task Manager on your computer and stop any Intuit updates still in progress from your previous attempts.     This worked beautifully for me.    All other community suggestions I tried failed. 

galljj
Returning Member

@AkinaLO  Yes, I've tried it.  As I said above, that link does not work.  I was able to copy the URL and download the patch,  but that did not work either, as mentioned above.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for assistance:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

@galljj

galljj
Returning Member

@jud_bee  Thanks.  Tried your approach, and it allowed me to open TT2020.  I found that if I didn't kill the intuit update process, it sent me into the do loop.   

But, there's still a question in my mind - Does any know what the current version of TT should be ?  the online help site says it is [phone number removed] - but that was 4 weeks ago.  My version is [phone number removed], obviously newer.

thanks

john

@galljj wrote:

@jud_bee  Thanks.  Tried your approach, and it allowed me to open TT2020.  I found that if I didn't kill the intuit update process, it sent me into the do loop.   

But, there's still a question in my mind - Does any know what the current version of TT should be ?  the online help site says it is [phone number removed] - but that was 4 weeks ago.  My version is [phone number removed], obviously newer.

thanks

john

The current version using the TurboTax software on a Windows based PC is 020.000.1700

Click on Help>About TurboTax>Version

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies