Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year 2020 - Why is my 1040 line 10 is showing Cash Charitable is too large, if I put 300 like it shows?

I take the standard deduction so I put 300 as the instructions show, but it is still asking me to check this entry.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Tax Year 2020 - Why is my 1040 line 10 is showing Cash Charitable is too large, if I put 300 like it shows?

This has been a known issue in TurboTax that is now solved.

If the first 7 steps do not solve this, then continue with steps 8 through 18.

To Correct the Charitable Donation error:

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Select Review/Edit
  3. Click Edit to the right of Standard Deduction ​​Click OK, Sounds Good
  4. Click Wrap Up Tax Breaks
  5. Click Continue
  6. Make sure that $300 is filled in and then click Continue
  7. Click Lets Keep Going

That should remove the error.  If still a problem make the charitable amount blank and continue with these steps:

8. In TurboTax select Federal in the panel on the left

9. Select Deductions & Credits at the top of the page
  10. Under Your Tax Breaks - Charitable Donations 
  11. Click START to the right of Donations to Charity in 2020
  12. Click YES
  13. Click ADD next to Money
  14. Type in the name of the charity that you donated to
  15. Type the amount of the donation
  16. Select Done with Donation
  17. Select Done
  18. Now the $300 will appear on Line 10B and in the Charitable Contributions screen

I’ve been trying to solve this error on mine for a couple days, but still can’t get around the error. 

Using Turbo Tax deluxe on desktop- could not follow steps 1-7. You lost me on step 2 did not find a way to select Review/Edit and then no standard deduction screen.

Then tried steps 8-18 and the federal review is still saying there is one item that needs to be corrected. Line 10a shows $300 and then when line 10b shows $300- it is highlighted in red and will not disappear.  On 1040, $300 is showing as Cares Act contribution.

So, it looks good but the final review is stopping the system. Why is the 10b box in red?

What should I do now?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@rstrouse

This TurboTax Help states:

• For 2020, even if you don’t itemize, you may take a charitable deduction of up to $300 for cash contributions made in 2020 to qualified organizations.

In TurboTax Desktop follow these steps:

• Across the top of the screen, click on Federal Taxes.
  • Click on Deductions & Credits.
  • At the screen How do you want to enter your deductions and credits?, click on I’ll choose what I work on.
  • Across the top of the screen Your 2020 Deductions & Credits, scroll down to the bottom and click Done with deductions.
  • Continue until the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act.
  • Enter your charitable cash contribution.  If you enter more than $300 (Single taxpayer), your deduction will be capped at $300..
  • Click Continue.
  • Click Done with Other.
  • Across the top of the screen, click Review, then Continue.
  • After Review is complete, click Step-by-Step in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
  • Select Form 1040 in the left hand column to review the entry on line 10b of the 1040.

[Edited 2/3/2021 7:32 AM]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SoCalPhyl

I get stuck at line 2:  I do not see Review/Edit.

So I go to line 8 but "Federal" is not on the left.  It is above. 

Line 9 indicates "Start" but there is none there.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

It depends. You must enter the qualified charitable contribution on Schedule A of 1040.  If qualified to itemize deduction, you will be able to deduct the full amount of your donation.  Otherwise, you can take the $300 charitable deduction. To enter charitable donations -

• Click on Federal Taxes.
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Charitable Donations
  • On Donations to Charity in 2020, click on the start or update button

Please check line 10b for the correct amount. Line 10a  should show the full amount but 10b should shows the $300, adjustment to income. To preview:

1.  Click on "Tax Tools" in the left menu
  2. Click "Tools"
  3. Click "View Tax Summary" in the Tool Center window
  4. Click on "Preview my 1040" on the left
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies