Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth IRA excess removal (with a loss)

After filing 2021 return (in 2022) I realized I have over contributed to Roth IRA based on income levels. I quickly removed it in 2022 before the dead line so there is no penalty, but with a loss. As a result the distribution was less than the excess. And so I not have any income to report as a result of this transaction. 

Do I still have to file an amended even though there was no taxable income? If so, how to do that in TurboTax? We have already received 2022 1099-R with PJ proving the above with 0 taxable amount. Do I have to amend state return as well (we are in North Carolina)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

there is nothing to amend for 2021 because of the loss. you don't get a deduction for it. 

Thanks a lot @Mike9241 , it makes perfect sense - since there is no additional income, there is nothing to amend. I was just not sure if I have to reflect my 1099-R in the previous return. I read lots of posts on the forums here and could not gage since I did not see a simple situation similar to mine .

Really appreciate your help!

@Mike9241 Do you know if need to enter 1099-R for my 2022 return even though there is no taxable income?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies