Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule M-2, Line 3 Smart Worksheet Pulling Wrong Data?

I'm doing the Schedule M-1 and M-2 for the first time, so it took me hours trying to reconcile M-2 only to realize that TTB is pulling data from a place contrary to what the IRS instructions say.

In TTB, the Smart Worksheet for Schedule M-2, Line 3, says that the data source is Form 1065, p5-6, Sch M-1, Line 9. It then works some calculations and returns an adjusted net income (tax basis) to Line 3.

Yet the IRS Instructions state "Enter on Schedule M-2, line 3, the amount from the Analysis of Net Income (Loss) per Return, line 1. Generally, this is the same as the amount entered on Schedule M-1, line 9, (if the partnership is required to complete Schedule M-1)."

Maybe TTB is counting on line 9 and line 1 being the same. But on our return, they are not. There's about a $20k difference that would allow my M-2 to balance. And none of the adjustments in the smart worksheet make up that difference (I only found one that applies). 

I've seen this before where TTB or TTH&B pull the wrong data. Can anyone confirm this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NCCG
Level 2

Schedule M-2, Line 3 Smart Worksheet Pulling Wrong Data?

I'm the original poster, @beanorama1 , using a different account. (I can't access that account since posting it, because Intuit now denies that the user ID we all can see exists.)

The original post is wrong. I misread the schedules. TTB is pulling the data correctly as described in the IRS instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies