Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RC40
Returning Member

Temporary Census employee W-2

The city I live in Ohio has city tax and a school district tax. Last year I was a temp worker for the U.S. Census which had its regional office in Philadelphia and its area office in South Point, OH which was about 2 1/2 hours away. My W-2 shows federal and state income and taxes withheld but no local taxes in blocks 18 thru 20 which is where the city and school district would normally be. I am sure I am not the only one with this situation but have found nothing online where it has been previously addressed.  Even though there is no local wages listed on the W-2, TurboTax calculated that I owe a school tax.  Is this correct given that there is no local income listed?  Should I be receiving a corrected W-2?  Is there anything unique about the federal census job whereas it doesn't fall into a taxable situation on the local level?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Temporary Census employee W-2

Yes, all residents in a taxing school district must file and pay the school district tax with the Ohio state tax return. 

If the Census did not withhold the school district taxes, you are still responsible for filing and paying the tax. 

There is no exemption for the tax on the  income for government or temporary work, however there is an exemption for the employer to have to withhold the school district tax because it was temporary work. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies