Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Updates for turbotax 2020 will not install. Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

176 Replies

can you be more specific? 

you are installing TT for the first time? 

you got the updates from last night but TT won't launch correctly.

etc. 

Yes.  I just installed TT 2020 and when I launched the program it told me it was going to install updates.  I got the "failed to install update.  Microsoft installer error 1603  Fatal error during installation".  I can't open the program w/o it wanting to install updates.  I was going to uninstall, but Windows 10 gave me the option to Repair.  Tried that, no change.  The State seems to have installed properly.  I've used TT for over 15 years and this is the first time this has happened.

by chance do you have a new computer? or Windows Version 20H2? 

I've seen at least one other thread with a similar issue.

are your firewalls and any anti-virus programs turned off? 

are you running as administrator? 

otherwise, suggest contacting TT

@xragman1949 wrote:

Yes.  I just installed TT 2020 and when I launched the program it told me it was going to install updates.  I got the "failed to install update.  Microsoft installer error 1603  Fatal error during installation".  I can't open the program w/o it wanting to install updates.  I was going to uninstall, but Windows 10 gave me the option to Repair.  Tried that, no change.  The State seems to have installed properly.  I've used TT for over 15 years and this is the first time this has happened.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a 1603 error - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-1603-a-fatal-error-occurred-dur...

Same computer, not that version of windows and I'm running as Administrator.  One interesting side effect is that if my Firefox browser is open, the failed update installation shuts it down.  I've tried with Firefox open and shut just to see if that makes a difference.  It doesn't.

thanks for trying

@xragman1949 

@DoninGA  provide an error FAQ about that one.

According to the FAQ, if that particular error occurs during the update process, you should download and install the manual update (for Windows systems).

You have to click a few links to get to the manual update, download site...but here it is directly, if you hadn't found it already:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

That link says you can download the 187 mb  patch to TT 2020, but the link only carries me to a site that no longer exists and the "click here for the new site" new site only supports Quickbooks, and not TT.  All other searches bring me back to this same page, but the results are the same.  Very frustrating.  Haven't found a simple way to get a live person at Intuit yet.

@xragman1949 wrote:

That link says you can download the 187 mb  patch to TT 2020, but the link only carries me to a site that no longer exists and the "click here for the new site" new site only supports Quickbooks, and not TT.  All other searches bring me back to this same page, but the results are the same.  Very frustrating.  Haven't found a simple way to get a live person at Intuit yet.

Just found out that link is not effective and it is being worked on to get it to go to the correct location.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or -

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

Interesting

The other manual updates for 2019, 2018, 2017 aren't working quite right for me using Chrome (Version 87.0.4280.88 ) unless I rt-click on the link for that manual update year, and select to have it open in another tab.   Not sure if it's something in my Chrome settings or not.  (time for a reboot?)

Downloading using the new EDGE browser works normally, with the attempted download file showing up in the lower edge of the window and giving me a choice on where to save it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SUCCESS!!!!  (I think/hope)  After scouring the web for Microsoft and TT suggestions, this is all that I did - 

1.  Uninstalled TT 2020

2. copied the files from the CD to my hard drive. 

3. disabled Trend Micro Internet Security

4. ran the setup program from my hard drive instead of the CD

Don't know why this worked, but as of now its working.

Thanks for everybody's help

@DoninGA 

Well, it appears the link to download the 2020 manual update is pointing to the correct place now..

BUT

I still can't get any of the years on that page to download normally using the Chrome browser (EDGE is OK).   With Chrome, no download notice shows up on the lower edge of the screen, and nothing downloads anywhere on my computer.  Only if I rt-click on the link, select "Open link in new tab" and wait for an Explorer window to show up, can I download/choose to point to a place to save it.

So is that just me and my Chrome browser setup?? or have CHAMPs reported the same problem? 

@SteamTrain Well, I am having the exact same issue with Chrome.  Cannot download any of the updates except the 2017 Manual Update.  Using Edge I can get them all.  So it definitely looks like something on the TurboTax side preventing the use of a Chrome browser.

I also have the same problem using Chrome versus Edge when trying to download the 2019, 2018 and 2017 amend software from this TurboTax website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/amend/ty17/

hmmm, new poorly qualified company contracted to do the web programming?  (is Kronos/khoros still involved ? )  Or maybe a different poorly designed software package used to modify/create the web pages.

I checked for Chrome updates, and I'm all up-to-date there.  Won't check Edge, since it's working and I don't want to mess up what works.

I installed the update manually through the link to the patch.  It appeared to install, however, when I try to open TurboTax I still get prompted to install updates. It still fails and the program won't open. I can get around it by starting the update, then manually canceling it before it fails. The program will then open. It'll do for now but I sure hope Intuit gets this figured out. I don't even have the assurance I'm getting the latest tax code updates 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies