Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TXW
Returning Member

W-2 with no state ID number for Box 15

I have recently received my first 2023 W-2 Form for a nonqualified pension plan. This W-2 Form in Box 15 the State is correctly indicated as NH, but the Employer’s state ID number is blank. When input into Turbotax, Turbotax indicates that the absence of the Employer’s state ID number prevents the federal tax return from being filed electronically.

I have asked the benefits administrator for the nonqualified pension plan to correct this and issue a corrected W-2. They indicate the the W-2 is correct since they do not have to provide the Employer’s state ID number, since there is no state tax required, and will not issue a "corrected" W-2. They said if I am having issues filing electronically as a result, Turbotax should fix their program.

I therefore ask Turbotax to correct this issue. I inserted "not provided" in the Employer’s state ID number in Box 15 to allow me to file my federal tax return electronically, but this is not ideal.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

W-2 with no state ID number for Box 15

If there is no state income taxes withheld in box 17 then leave boxes 15, 16 and 17 blank (empty) on the W-2 you are entering.  If the program still gives you an error then delete the W-2 and re-enter manfully to remove the program error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies