Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zmaa
Level 1

2020 T4A scholarship income associated with 2019 T2022 Tuition amount -- how to enter/claim it?

I’m not sure how I should declare “scholarship” income reported on a T4A. It’s from Quebec, where I have student loans from being a full-time student in 2019. In 2020, their student financial aid agency converted a portion of my 2019 loan to a scholarship, which is reported on a 2020 T4A. I finished my degree in December 2019 so I don’t have a T2022 (tuition & enrolment certificate) from 2020 to associate with the 2020 T4A.

The CRA website says:
“To claim a scholarship exemption, you must be enrolled in an educational program in which you are a qualifying student in 2019, 2020 or 2021.”
So I am a qualifying student because I went to school in 2019, but I’m having trouble inputting this fact in TurboTax. In TurboTax, I need to have a T2022 that matches the T4A…which I don’t have. I’ve tried inputting my 2019 T2022 but then it thinks I’m not entitled to the Working Income Tax Benefit because it thinks it’s for 2020.

Is there a workaround? How and where should I enter the information on this T4A?

Also…it seems that scholarships are taxable in Quebec, but I’m in Ontario now and was for all of 2020—does that impact my situation?

1 Reply

2020 T4A scholarship income associated with 2019 T2022 Tuition amount -- how to enter/claim it?

Hello, I am having the same dilemma in 2021, I was wondering how you solved this?