Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vmansinger419
Returning Member

2023 Schedule D Worksheet, Line 44 calculation error.

Line 44 on the Schedule D worksheet is incorrectly calculating my tax.  It says to use the amount on line 26.  Then for my income bracket, the tax is supposed to be $2,200.00 + 12% of the amount on line 26 that exceeds $22,000.  In my case, line 26 = $26,201.  So, the calculation should be $2,200 + (.12 of (26,201 - 22,000)).  This would then be $2,200 + (.12 of (4201)).  That becomes $2,200 + (504.12).  The amount on line 44 should be $2704.  TurboTax is incorrectly calculating this to be $2707.

Note that line 46 calls for the exact same calculation but starting with the amount on line 1C.  In the case of line 46, TurboTax performs the calculation correctly.

How do I correct my return for this error?

How do I get a software engineer to review and then fix the programming bug?

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

In order to examine this more closely to determine what needs to be reported for further review, it would be extremely helpful to have a diagnostic tax data file that is experiencing the issue.  You can provide that file to us.  Then, the details of the situation can be submitted for correction.  

The diagnostic file will not contain personally identifiable information, only numbers related to your tax forms.  If you would like to provide us with the diagnostic file, follow the instructions below and post the token number along with which version of TurboTax you are using and what states you are filing in a follow-up thread.

Use these steps if you are using TurboTax Online:

• Sign in to your account and be sure you are in your tax return.
  • Select Tax Tools in the menu to the left.
  • Select Tools.
  • Select Share my file with agent.
  • A pop-up message will appear, select OK to send the sanitized diagnostic copy to us.
  • Post the token number here. 

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, use these steps:

• Select Online at the top of the screen.
  • Select Send Tax File to Agent.
  • Click OK.
  • Post the token number here.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
vmansinger419
Returning Member

I sent the file at approximately 12:45 PM on Thursday, February 29th.  The token number is 1198809.