Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Answering "What was your income from foreign sources and Canadian sourced Part XIII income for the part of the year that you were not a Canadian resident?".

I had a quick question. I'm filing my tax for the first time and since I arrived in Canada last September, do I have to report by income before my entrance? The CRA's website says that for the part of the year we are not resident, we should only report:

1. income from employment in Canada or from a business carried on in Canada

2. taxable capital gains from disposing of taxable Canadian property

3. taxable part of scholarships, bursaries, fellowships, and research grants you received from Canadian sources.

Now, since none of these sources apply to me, do I still have to report my source of income for the part of the year I was not resident?

1 Reply

Answering "What was your income from foreign sources and Canadian sourced Part XIII income for the part of the year that you were not a Canadian resident?".

Foreign income earned prior to arriving in Canada. We want to know about your world gross income. It boils down to whether you get a full year or is it prorated from your date of entry. And if you need to apply for a Foreign Tax Credit. Let me explain.

There are 3 things to keep in mind when reporting foreign-sourced income on your Canadian tax return;

This means you may be able to claim a Foreign Tax Credit.

For further guidance, please review the links provided below:

From TurboTax: