Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you claiming spousal amount?

My wife is a visitor and living with me since March 2019 till now, She doesn’t have SIN therefore she has no income on 2019, can i mark “yes” on the question: Are you claiming spousal amount? 

3 Replies

In order for an individual to claim the spousal tax credit for a non-resident spouse, it is necessary that the non-resident person is supported by the individual. In determining if the non-resident spouse is supported by the individual, the CRA will consider the following factors:

• the income of the spouse;
  • any support provided to the spouse by government agencies (i.e.: pensions, medicare, housing, etc.) of the country in which he/she resides;
  • the cost of living in their country and their ability to provide self-support; and
  • any support provided by other persons

To support a spousal tax credit claim for a non-resident spouse, you must keep records of proof of the amounts contributed as support, in case the CRA wants to see them later.  This would usually include receipts from the post office, bank money orders, cancelled cheques that were payable to and negotiated by the spouse, or receipts from private agencies established for the purpose of transferring money or goods to residents of other countries.

If you fall under the terms above, then answer "Yes" to claiming the spousal amount.

TaxTip: You may want to call the CRA at 1-866-223-4403 to inquire about getting an ITN (Individual Tax Number) or TTN (Temporary Tax Number) for your non-resident spouse for tax purposes.

Thanks for your replying. I knew the answer now

Would you mind to tell the answer please. In case it was yes, did the CRA asked for any documents?