Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolf88

change the marital status with the cra?

So me and my common law partner filed taxes together for the first time together in April of this year. However we are no longer together. So I’m wondering what happens when I change the marital status with the cra? Will we need to pay back the tax return refund?

3 Replies
student_1234
Returning Member

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA):

You must tell the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) about your new marital status by the end of the following month after your status changed. For example, if your status changed in March, you must tell us by the end of April. 

Notify the CRA if:

• you married
  • you became common-law
  • you separated for more than 90 days (due to a breakdown in the relationship)
  • you divorced
  • your spouse or common-law partner died

If you have separated, wait until 90 consecutive days have passed before telling us.

We will recalculate your benefits based on your new marital status and adjusted family net income. The adjustment will start the month after your marital status changed. "

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Wolf88

Yes, I know I have to do that.

I’m wondering what happens when I change the marital status with the cra? Will we need to pay back the tax return refund we got.

Also I’m not sure if I will need to change the marital status to separated or single? 

student_1234
Returning Member

The CRA will recalculate your benefits based on your new marital status and adjusted family net income. The adjustment will start the month after your marital status changes.

Also, the CRA says "If, after filing your return, you continue to live separate and apart from your spouse or common-law partner and you have been living this way for at least 90 days, you have to change you marital status to ''separated'' using the first day of the 90-day period as your date of separation. Complete and send Form RC65, Marital Status Change to the CRA"

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.